starting strength gym

Thread: "Dangers of sitting", BS or truth?

Default "Dangers of sitting", BS or truth?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is it really that bad to sit all day? I've seen a lot of articles, websites and videos about this recently.

Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzC0VoUxdec

Are the claims in this video true? I assume you, SS coaches, have the answer, as you have regarding everything else.

Is sitting hunched over in front of the computer all day good for you? Probably not. Is the act of sitting going to kill you or make you sick? No. Remember, correlation does not equal causation. Those that are perfectly happy to sit on their asses for 18 hours a day and do no physical activity at all have bigger issues to deal with than their posture in the chair. Now, get up and go squat.

I recently changed to a standing desk. The first two weeks were tough, but now it's fine. I have noticed that my posture is much better and my hips aren't as tight. Also, it seems to help keep me awake.

Quote Originally Posted by spals View Post
    I recently changed to a standing desk. The first two weeks were tough, but now it's fine. I have noticed that my posture is much better and my hips aren't as tight. Also, it seems to help keep me awake.
    If you're reasonably fit, standing for 8 - 9 hours, with moving around some and breaks, shouldn't be terribly hard.

I will say though that you should be either wearing shoes with padding or standing on something padded. Concrete is hard on the joints.

Quote Originally Posted by spals View Post
    I've also thought about this. I've had lordosis my whole life, so standing for more than a few minutes makes my back fatigued or whatever, maybe this will help me to get a better posture.