starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: To use a belt, or not?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    The athlete belt by best belts is great - I've been using one for two years and love it, as do dozens of others on the forum: http://www.bestbelts.net/Powerliftin...s/Athlete.aspx

If you're shorter, you might prefer the 3 inch belt: http://www.bestbelts.net/Powerliftin...Inch-Belt.aspx
    Awesome, thanks Wolf.

I'm not a coach and I'm not nearly strong enough to speak as any sort of authority.

But I thought I would offer up my own weird experience.

I used a belt on heavy squats and presses for a while. It did help me push harder and go heavier.

Then when I traveled I was startled to find out how weak I was without the belt. Didn't like it.

As cheesy as it sounds, I bought an ab wheel (cheap 10$ version from Target) and began using it all the time. After a few weeks of using the ab wheel I was able to quickly get my unbelted strength on par with my belted strength.

This probably just means my squats and OHP are limited by something rather than ab strength now. Regardless, the ab wheel got me to a point where I didn't need a belt and the belt didn't do much for me.

Maybe this will not be the case when I'm greatly stronger and am squatting and deadlifting in the 600's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    If you're going with Best Belts, I highly recommend calling them. Dean is a great guy to talk to and will get you into the right belt.
    I second this. When I got my 4" belt from him two years ago, I talked with Dean on the phone for 45 minutes and it was a pleasure. I had trouble reaching him over the phone back about 6 months ago when I wanted to order a 3" belt for pulling. Ended up emailing.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHH View Post
    I have one of those nice thick suede 4" belts that work well for me with squats and presses. But the thing comes off when I deadlift because I just cant seem to setup properly with it on.
    I'm not short, but it seems the space between my ribs and hips is smaller than normal (smaller torso), so perhaps I need to give the 3" a try.
    Is 3" generally the THINNEST a belt should be, for practical purposes?
    I'm 6' tall, and also found the same thing as you when deadlifting. A friend and former client of mine had lost a bunch of weight and needed a new belt because of that; she had a 3 inch (on my recommendation - she's not short, but borderline and with a shortish torso), so I bought hers and she ordered herself a new one. I love the 3" for pulling, and many non-short people find this as well. I don't think a belt would ever NEED to be less than 3" for an adult, but there may be some real outliers.

Quote Originally Posted by aprice1387 View Post
    Awesome, thanks Wolf.
    No prob.

Quote Originally Posted by hector_garza View Post
    I'm not a coach and I'm not nearly strong enough to speak as any sort of authority.

But I thought I would offer up my own weird experience.

I used a belt on heavy squats and presses for a while. It did help me push harder and go heavier.

Then when I traveled I was startled to find out how weak I was without the belt. Didn't like it.

As cheesy as it sounds, I bought an ab wheel (cheap 10$ version from Target) and began using it all the time. After a few weeks of using the ab wheel I was able to quickly get my unbelted strength on par with my belted strength.

This probably just means my squats and OHP are limited by something rather than ab strength now. Regardless, the ab wheel got me to a point where I didn't need a belt and the belt didn't do much for me.

Maybe this will not be the case when I'm greatly stronger and am squatting and deadlifting in the 600's.
    Without seeing your lifts, I can't comment on this, but I've never coached someone for whom this was the case. My own, and all my lifters', lifts have gone up unbelted after getting stronger on the heaviest work sets using the belt. Both my own experience and the logic of why the belt works, both argue for belted work making abs stronger to allow unbelted work to go up along with it. Sometimes things aren't absolute though.

Regardless, I'm glad you found something that's worked for you.

I have been using my belt and its going great.

Thank you coaches for your advice

For more advanced athletes, you know, beyond the novice stage, your GPP (general physical preparation) should include direct ab training as it is. If you are not wearing a belt on your barbell lifts, you are reducing the training effect on the intended musculature. The point of the squat is to train hip drive. Of course a strong "core" is important, but, I'm with Wolf, I have never seen a case where the belted squat did not also drive the unbelted squat. Granted, there have been times when my belted efforts were 10% higher than my unbelted efforts, but I suppose I fail to see why this matters at all. Serious training entails bringing your gear with you when you travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    For more advanced athletes, you know, beyond the novice stage, your GPP (general physical preparation) should include direct ab training as it is. If you are not wearing a belt on your barbell lifts, you are reducing the training effect on the intended musculature. The point of the squat is to train hip drive. Of course a strong "core" is important, but, I'm with Wolf, I have never seen a case where the belted squat did not also drive the unbelted squat. Granted, there have been times when my belted efforts were 10% higher than my unbelted efforts, but I suppose I fail to see why this matters at all. Serious training entails bringing your gear with you when you travel.
    I thought the general ethos around here was that direct ab training is unnecessary because the abs are worked sufficiently with heavily loaded compound barbell exercises (ie squat, deadlift, overhead press, etc). If this is not the case, what ab exercises would you recommend based on effectiveness and efficiency?

starting strength coach development program
    You will find differing opinions on this. I don't do any direct ab work, but others do. It is not essential in many cases and is even less appropriate early in someone's training career. Rip discussed this in an article a while back.

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/article/abs

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234