• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    FYI:

Male, 26
    Height: 5'8" Weight: 180

Squat: 315x5
    Deadlift: 365x5
    Press: 165x5
    I don't power clean or bench press often enough to know my numbers.
    About to switch from SS to 5/3/1.

From what I understand, weightlifting belts pretty much just help your abs do their job by keeping your stomach/lower back tight. This helps the lifter use more weight than they could without a belt, and avoid some injuries (lower back, abdominal hernia).

I understand the benefits of lifting with a belt, but a big drawback for me is that my abs would not get the training needed to handle the big weights I would eventually be moving. If I attempted the same weight without a belt, I would either fail or hurt myself.

So how do you guys recommend using a belt? All the time? Half the time? Only on certain rep ranges? I would be very grateful for some guidance here.

Thank you,

Andrew

Use it for your last warm-up and your work set(s). When you get stronger, you may want to use it for the last two warm-up sets.

The belt doesn't exactly "help your abs do their job by keeping your stomach/lower back tight." It facilitates a stronger abdominal contraction than can be achieved without the belt, thus training your abs harder and making them stronger. Similar to how you can get stronger by squatting against a loaded barbell, versus pretending there is 405 on your back and trying to replicate the movement and conditions of that scenario.

So belting your heavy sets makes the whole system, including your abs, stronger. As a result of that chronic adaptation, what do you think will happen to your unbelted lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Use it for your last warm-up and your work set(s). When you get stronger, you may want to use it for the last two warm-up sets.

The belt doesn't exactly "help your abs do their job by keeping your stomach/lower back tight." It facilitates a stronger abdominal contraction than can be achieved without the belt, thus training your abs harder and making them stronger. Similar to how you can get stronger by squatting against a loaded barbell, versus pretending there is 405 on your back and trying to replicate the movement and conditions of that scenario.

So belting your heavy sets makes the whole system, including your abs, stronger. As a result of that chronic adaptation, what do you think will happen to your unbelted lifts?
    I see what you did there. . . . you are getting good, Wolf. Very Good.....
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 01-25-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: fixed the html so it was in the quote bubble

Quote Originally Posted by aprice1387 View Post
    About to switch from SS to 5/3/1.
    Do TM instead. Trust me. I've tried both.

Just curious. Why don't you bench press or power clean.

I mean, I hear a lot of "I don't do power cleans" on other forums and in the gym and such, but the only man I knew who didn't bench press much was missing an arm.

A belt will not protect you against a hernia. Choosing your parents wisely will.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    Just curious. Why don't you bench press or power clean.

I mean, I hear a lot of "I don't do power cleans" on other forums and in the gym and such, but the only man I knew who didn't bench press much was missing an arm.
    Well, it's not really that I don't bench at all, but my shoulder gets really cranky if the weight gets heavy enough so I try to stick to presses and dumbbell stuff for my chest. I bench maybe once every 2 weeks or so. And I will probably be working power cleans into my next program, I just haven't been recently.

And wolf, thanks for setting me straight. I'll go get a belt.

Belts are for cheaters!!!! I believe in 100%RAWWRHALFNATTYALLYOUBRAH!

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Belts are for cheaters!!!! I believe in 100%RAWWRHALFNATTYALLYOUBRAH!
    +1. The same thought crossed my mind as I read the title.

starting strength coach development program
    I have never used a belt and after reading ss page 66 i wonder if i should start?

I have had no injuries.

SS says if you have been uninjured you may prefer to never use one. The cost of getting one is not a problem, i just want do what is best.

what do you coaches say?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast