starting strength gym

Thread: Pullups instead power clean

Default Pullups instead power clean

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So i want to start tomorrow the ss finally(after 2 week of learning technique) i understand that there is no one in the gym that can teach me the power clean, and i took with some one that did this program and look very good(well built believe me) and he told me he did not do the power clean and he changed it with pullups (with plus the weight)

so i have a questions:
    1. what do you think about it?
    2.Right now I can only do three full,how much pullups each trainning day i add and what number of reps each set to start up plus the weight?

I had a lot of trouble teaching myself the power clean, so maybe what I did can be of help to you (not saying I'm good at it still, but I manage not to cripple myself):

For this recipe, you'll need the following ingredients:

Video Camera
    Starting Strength, Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition

Follow the steps in the book to the letter. Videotape each step. Watch the video after each step and if it isn't exactly as described in the book, repeat it.

If you get to the point where you can't perform any of the steps pretty perfectly as described in the book, post the video of your best attempt here, and other trainees and/or coaches will help you with the cues you need to get to the next step.

It's not as efficient as having a coach, but it can work. And if you can power clean, you should. Lots of the steps to getting strong aren't easy, but we're all here because we think they're worthwhile. Now get the "reasons I can't" out of your head and start thinking of "reasons I can." In the gym and in life. You got this, bro!

Why do people always claim they don't want to power clean because there's no coach to teach them? There's no one to teach them the press, or the squat either. I learned all the lifts from the book and videos here. Nut up and clean the bar

Learning the power clean was one of the most difficult things I've done in the weight room. I've got a pretty good grasp of it now, and it's one of my favorite lifts. It helps my deadlift in a big way. Just learn it. It'll take time and perseverance, but that's what barbell training is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarin1312 View Post
    So i want to start tomorrow the ss finally(after 2 week of learning technique) i understand that there is no one in the gym that can teach me the power clean, and i took with some one that did this program and look very good(well built believe me) and he told me he did not do the power clean and he changed it with pullups (with plus the weight)

so i have a questions:
    1. what do you think about it?
    2.Right now I can only do three full,how much pullups each trainning day i add and what number of reps each set to start up plus the weight?
    SS (the program) does not have PCs from the beginning. You start by doing DLs every workout and substitute PCs for DLs every other session later.

Pullups are in no way substitute for PCs. Power snatches are. Or even DB/KB swings/cleans/snatches. Something explosive.

Overall, I'd suggest to start the SS right now and meanwhile learn PCs. They are not that difficult to learn.

I find squatting correctly to be more technically difficult than power cleans.

As an older guy (48) I'm not quick enough to be much good PCs -- I can do about 45% of my deadlift. So they don't work as deadlift assistance for me. I still do a few every week for fun.

Btw, do chins rather than pullups. That way you can skip curls -- saves time in the gym. The lat work is just as good, you just have to use more reps/more weight to make up for the help your biceps provide.

But don't skip the power cleans, they are fun and not too hard to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    Why do people always claim they don't want to power clean because there's no coach to teach them? There's no one to teach them the press, or the squat either. I learned all the lifts from the book and videos here. Nut up and clean the bar
    Yup same here. Learned it all from books and videos... Well and a lot of trial and error... like A lot. It takes more time then Press/Squat learning for sure... If people stick with it and be just as determined to learn it... I feel it works :-/

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    Yup same here. Learned it all from books and videos... Well and a lot of trial and error... like A lot. It takes more time then Press/Squat learning for sure... If people stick with it and be just as determined to learn it... I feel it works :-/