starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adding good mornings without screwing up The Program.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In the advanced novice program Rip has you alternate DL/PC on A days and do GHR+Chins on B days. I don't have a GHR machine at my gym so I just substitute some GMs or RDLs along with some light snatching on those days.

I am going to be this guy and I dont even care.

A DEADstopped from floor Stiff Leg Deadlift > GM and RDL

GM and RDL do fuck all for my deadlift. But if I put in even a tiny bit of time on the SLDL it pays me back huge dividends both on posterior chain size and strength but directly helps my dead.

Plus its WAY easier to setup after deads.

You are not being that guy. A lot of this is based on personal development and anthropometry. Different strokes, different folks.

When I do RDL's, I have to stop myself from touching the plates on the floor. Many people's range of motion is much shorter for that movement. So I imagine I get more out of it. Same with GM's. Even in this thread, people are discussing only being able to do 1/2 to 2/3 parallel.

I imagine an SLDL will allow some people to use a greater range of motion than RDL's or GM's allow for them. I think that can make a big difference.

From the Floor SLDL deadstopped is a full ROM movement, a properly done RDL or GM are not.

Everyone can do whatever. But if you got a shitty dead or need to inject some pchain/pulling volume in your life, that also has great carryover. I cannot find a reason to NOT choose the SLDL over the RDL or GM.

Only way I could justify a GM would be after squatting. Just because the efficient setup. Even then I prefer to pause the reps on the pins to break up the concentric eccentric. Which I believe is one of the safer forms of good mornings.

I have tried stiffl egged deadlifts. I can only get the bar down to just above my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    From the Floor SLDL deadstopped is a full ROM movement, a properly done RDL or GM are not.

Everyone can do whatever. But if you got a shitty dead or need to inject some pchain/pulling volume in your life, that also has great carryover. I cannot find a reason to NOT choose the SLDL over the RDL or GM.

Only way I could justify a GM would be after squatting. Just because the efficient setup. Even then I prefer to pause the reps on the pins to break up the concentric eccentric. Which I believe is one of the safer forms of good mornings.
    I guess the only thing I will add is you make very definitive statements as if they are fact. Despite the previous posts in this thread that reference Bill Starr articles praising the importance of the GM's.

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/build...good-mornings/
    http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/bulletproof-lower-back/

I will go out on a limb and say Bill Starr is a better authority on the subject of strength training than most people alive. Given his recommendation for GM's, I think softening your language would be appropriate.

Yeah ok bro have fun with good mornings.

Andy Baker wrote a short article on why you might choose SLDL/RDL/or Good Mornings over eachother, which addresses some of this discussion.

http://www.bakerstrengthcoaching.com...s-rdl-vs-sldl/

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post
    If I want to add stress to a client’s routine, then I will often add in 1-3 back off sets directly following his heavy deadlift sets. My preference is to use an SLDL.
    Goodmornings also make a good choice here because they are, by nature, lighter. A strong lifter may have a very difficult time pulling heavy RDLs or SLDLs on Tuesday and then trying to pull heavy from the floor again later in the week. Goodmornings don’t take quite the same toll on a lifters recovery capacity, but still deliver a powerful stimulus to the hamstrings.
    If I am l looking at reducing the stress on a lifter, then I may look at substituting one of these lifts in place of the deadlift on a given week. All these exercises can be used as a means of “deloading” from constant heavy pulling. But generally my exercise of choice is an RDL. The use of the stretch reflex makes the exercise a little easier to recover from than the SLDL (even at heavier loads) and often times the reason for taking the lighter week is to reduce stress on a client’s low back. I also feel that RDLs are a little bit safer. Violently breaking the weight off the floor without the use of the quads is a risky proposition for the hamstrings – especially for an older lifter. Eccentrically lowering into that deep stretch with an RDL reduces the chance of a pull or strain.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Stroup View Post
    Yeah ok bro have fun with good mornings.
    Round back SSB GMs are the bes.

The idea that goodmornings would have more carryover to a deadlift than an RDL or a SLDL is ludicrous in my opinion. Anyone who is remotely familiar with the concept of specificity, or the classification of means, would be able to grasp why in a heart beat.

SLDL > RDL > Goodmorning in terms of carryover.

In that order. Because of specificity.

But they also go in reverse-order in terms of recovery. So there is an appropriate time and place for all of them like Andy said.

I have to say that Bill Starr has some VERY contrarian opinions on what works best to drive deadlift progress. One of the concepts that he pioneered is that the deadlift actually responds best to not doing the deadlift. You should use less specific volume and do nothing but variations: cleans, snatches, goodmornings, etc.

This has become popular and, IMO, it is extremely sub-optimal. This is not what the best deadlifters do.

starting strength coach development program
    For squats though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast