starting strength gym

Thread: Power-clean check

Default Power-clean check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi! First-time poster. Thanks for all you do.

Please, I can use some pointers on my power-clean.

https://vimeo.com/90668977

When I use a belt, I've sometimes snag the bar on the bottom of the belt. Last night, I pulled the bar sharply into my solar plexus, just under the sternum. Ouch. Then I got nervous and think I was letting it get away from me (too far away from my body). That's what it looks like in this video (44 seconds long, 5 reps)

I am flexible but with long forearms and have been racking the bar with low elbows. And maybe rolling it on up after the lift, rather than simultaneously. Something looks wrong, anyway.

I can provide a video from a different angle, if this would be preferred.

I've read all Mark's books and watched the DVD. Been lifting about 2.5 years. 5'11'', 180lb, 34yo.
    DL: 345x5
    PC: 175x almost, 165x1, 155x5, (this video is that).

Thanks so much

G

Start with a narrower stance. When you jump, allow your feet to go wider - about to the width of a squat stance. Jump harder, too.

The reason you aren't racking properly is because you are catching the bar in your hands instead of your shoulders. Commit to catching it on your delts. Meet the bar with your shoulders.

Tom's right about the stance. Here are a couple more things to implement:

You need to leave the floor so don't just dig your toes in..actually jump and land.

Stop looking at the floor, there's nothing there that will help you. Set your eyes around the bottom of that black frame in front of you and keep them there.

When setting up for the clean, you need to push your hips back more aggressively. Set your hips back until you feel tension on your hamstrings. If you do this right, your torso will be slightly less vertical than it is now.

Before you set up, take a short and sharp breath instead of a long slow breath.

Lastly, be aggressive. Cleans will punish you for being timid, so you've gotta get violent with it. Jump hard, land hard, and the bar will meet your shoulders more efficiently.

Too much.