starting strength gym

Thread: Where to buy, a few small odds n ends.

Default Where to buy, a few small odds n ends.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok, so a friend who temporarily in the US needs a couple things that are not available in their home country. These items are..

a lightweight/hollow 1" barbell. The kind of thing they use in group fitness classes. The bar must take spring clamps not spinlock!

Some fractional plates for this bar, 0.25, 0.5 and 1kg or your american lb equivalents.

a pair of full size moderate strength resistance bands.

Location is Philadelphia if it makes any difference.

There is no standard place to get those kind of things. Standard (1") fractional plates i don't think i've ever seen or heard of period.

Unless there's some special store in Philly, i'd try to find something on the web. Like amazon, rogue etc.

The bar and bands MAY be available at Dick's sporting goods, Sports Authority or a Sears, but maybe not.

Go to sporting good stores. Learn why spin lock shit is disqualified please.
    Next consider a 3/4 inch pipe for the barbell. You can get that at a home depot.
    I have fractional plates so they are out there some where. I use my standard size stuff so i can't offer it to you. For a guy to be like. OHHHH standard shit from a sporting good store. Hm. Wouldn't know where you would get that is asinine. Ignore captain obvious and go look around. Check craigslist. Typically the bar that came with plastic cement weight didn't have spin lock ends. Dude needs to make his own stuff with pipe and washers.

A solid 6' bar is about 8kg. Is that too heavy?

http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...productId=5974

They are only ~$25-30 new. 1.25# plates (0.57kg), 2.5# plates (1.1kg), 5# (2.2kg) plates are available all over the place. Call used sporting goods stores.

http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Home/I...Weight_Plates/

If this is too heavy, google cardio set, aerobic set, pump set, cardio barbell, etc.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/2171148

edit: not recommending any of these, just providing search help
    Last edited by Nate; 04-27-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Yeah its too heavy. This is for a girl who weighs <40kg and its for her to take home in her luggage. So even if she gets help, a solid bar is way too heavy.

I know fractional plates must exist, as I have a fairly new standard bar set her in the UK, york branded and made recently. The little 0.25-1kg plates come with the dumb bell sets. I cannot suggest homemade stuff, as this will be way too hard for the said person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Yeah its too heavy. This is for a girl who weighs <40kg and its for her to take home in her luggage. So even if she gets help, a solid bar is way too heavy.

I know fractional plates must exist, as I have a fairly new standard bar set her in the UK, york branded and made recently. The little 0.25-1kg plates come with the dumb bell sets. I cannot suggest homemade stuff, as this will be way too hard for the said person.
    Unless she lives in the middle of the desert, without any connection to the outside world at all, why doesn't she just buy it & have it shipped to where she lives?

If she is on travel - why not just do day visits at a local gym?

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Is your new stalkee a double amputee or a child?
    Hell, my 25 kg, 8yr old son can press a 9 kg bar with good form for reps. If she needs something lighter at 40 kg she is missing at least one arm.

starting strength coach development program
    If it's not too late, fitness exchange.com store in Plymouth Meeting, has good selection of new and used gear and is willing to deal.