starting strength gym
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Race to 200kg/440lb squat (i.e. the other, lesser squat race)

Default Race to 200kg/440lb squat (i.e. the other, lesser squat race)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Welcome to the fucking minor leagues, boys and girls. All the real lifters are in that OMG Race to 600lbs! thread but we suck, so we're down here in the Formula 3 of squatting. Sign up below. Everyone can play, no tryouts, because lettuce beef reality: for most of us in this thread, tryouts were what ended our original sporting careers, right?

For all you ladies, I'm not sure what the women's equivalent of 200kg is? Maybe 140kg/308lbs? Or, if y'all just want to just do the same standard for everyone, that's cool too. Wouldn't be surprised if some or all of you beat me to it anyway.

To mediocrity and beyond!

I'm in. Hoping for a PR of 405 or close this Saturday. Have doubled 375 definitely deep, and singled 385 borderline/suspect.

I'm in. 335x5 is my best so far.
    Last edited by Levon_Xidyn; 05-15-2014 at 12:05 AM.

It be fun to join a race on here, but as a woman, I've already hit 303. I'm not sure I'll ever get to 440. By the end of the year? Maybe 350? I'd be thrilled with that.

i got no chance but if i could get to 180kg for a single by the end of the year i would be stoked!

I'm in. My knee is in rehab- so what happens with this race is dependent on that. My best is 180 kilos. Another 20 to that would be superb.

Good luck to all of us. scteacher- I think you rock.

Quote Originally Posted by lewabbit View Post
    I'm in. My knee is in rehab- so what happens with this race is dependent on that. My best is 180 kilos. Another 20 to that would be superb.

Good luck to all of us. scteacher- I think you rock.
    Haha, thank you! I won't test a heavy single for a while, so we'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by scteacher View Post
    It be fun to join a race on here, but as a woman, I've already hit 303. I'm not sure I'll ever get to 440. By the end of the year? Maybe 350? I'd be thrilled with that.
    Holy crap, I think you're in the wrong thread, ma'am. Did you see that 600lb race some of the Real Men of SSC are doing? That might be more interesting for you than hanging out with a bunch of newly minted intermediates....

Quote Originally Posted by lewabbit View Post
    I'm in. My knee is in rehab- so what happens with this race is dependent on that.
    Mine too. Wasted most of last year recovering and making up lost ground, but finally PRing again, albeit gingerly. Did 360x5x3 the other day, but failed today with 365. Not going to waste time resetting since this is where I tend to stall with daily LP anyway, so Texas here I come. Additional details: I squat high-bar, no belt, wraps, or sleeves, because I am a contrarian asshole. Here's to your improving joint health and mine, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Holy crap, I think you're in the wrong thread, ma'am. Did you see that 600lb race some of the Real Men of SSC are doing? That might be more interesting for you than hanging out with a bunch of newly minted intermediates....

Mine too. Wasted most of last year recovering and making up lost ground, but finally PRing again, albeit gingerly. Did 360x5x3 the other day, but failed today with 365. Not going to waste time resetting since this is where I tend to stall with daily LP anyway, so Texas here I come. Additional details: I squat high-bar, no belt, wraps, or sleeves, because I am a contrarian asshole. Here's to your improving joint health and mine, Mark.
    Many thanks, Senór SSD. I am waiting to get to about 360 before I switch to Good ole Texas. And I wish you the best of luck and health too.

and let's not do anything that is going to risk our joints this time around. First one to hit 440 buys the other a drink.

P.s: will a gentleman's word suffice, or are we backing up our record with video?

starting strength coach development program
    I'm in, I guess. I'm 51, training 10 years and weigh about 95kg (209#). My all time best just over a year ago was 195kg (430#). Since then I've had shoulder surgery and wonky knees but I'm moving up again. My knees have had a lot of bad patches over the year, starting when I was a teenager.

My shoulders are still not good, I can't bench or press, but my knees are fine at the moment and I'm squatting and deadlifting regularly.

I'm still hoping for a 200kg squat and a 250kg deadlift. My last work sets were 170kgx2 (375#) and 160kg 3x3 (353#).

I'm currently using a rep scheme of my own devising I call 1337. It involves working up to a heavy single (or double or triple), then a 3x3 backdown set about 10kg lighter. I do a single 6-8 rep set about 40kg lighter on another day of the week.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast