starting strength gym

Thread: Hybrid Texas method for olympic weightlifting question.

Default Hybrid Texas method for olympic weightlifting question.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys I have just picked up this program and just have a simple question that I'm pretty sure I didn't see addressed in the book but I could always be wrong.

On the template I see that Tuesday is 75% at 5x5 for 6 weeks. So I just use the same weight and rep scheme for that whole six weeks or is it based off what I hit on the Saturday session? Thanks in advance.

The goal is for the weight to go up as Saturday's "Intensity Day" weights go up, but this will have to be regulated by the lifter based on recovery. If small weekly increases pound you into overtraining, as evidenced by missing ID reps or problems with the performance of the olympic lifts, obviously that's not what we want and a change will need to be made, either by maintaining weight or reducing volume. But in the ideal scenario, the volume weight goes up a little.

Okay cool. That's what I suspected. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    Hey guys I have just picked up this program and just have a simple question that I'm pretty sure I didn't see addressed in the book but I could always be wrong.

On the template I see that Tuesday is 75% at 5x5 for 6 weeks. So I just use the same weight and rep scheme for that whole six weeks or is it based off what I hit on the Saturday session? Thanks in advance.
    Don't let the percentages throw you off. Rip and I went back and forth on multiple occasions about whether or not to even include percentages in any of the programs. We decided that percentages were necessary to display as a means of illustrating the correct OFFSET between various training days in the week. Rip went out of his way to include in various spots all over the book that percentages are only rough estimates. Recent training data is ALWAYS what we go off of. So if your last 5x5 workout was 365 then you start this program at 370. It doesn't matter what 75% of your 1RM is because you have better and more recent data available to you.

And we do want you increasing weight week to week when possible.