starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Programming Question

Default Squat Programming Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    33yrs old, 6'4, 217, on the way back up after a 10lb cut.

After being unable to squat for like 6 months and only deadlift, I've been able to work my way back from literally the bar up to 300lbs over the last 8 weeks. Before my groin injury, my best volume squats were around 335 for 5s with a max squat of 410.

I've been running a simple 2 day LP on my squat as part of a 4 day setup, so my squats and pulls look like this currently:

Day 1: Squat 3x5 295, RDL 3x5 320
    Day 2: Squat 3x5 300, Deadlift 405 1x5 (moving to a 5/3/1 DL rotation after this week)

I have to keep the squat volume down to 2 days a week to manage the adductor tendinopathy.

So here is the question - my last squat session was brutally hard at 300lbs - I've never struggled with that weight before. If a fly had landed on the bar on the last rep of the last set I would have missed it. I would have expected to be able to continue my LP to at least get back to where I was pre-injury. What's going on here? Just not eating enough? It seems crazy to me that I can RDL far more than I can squat, which has never been the case before, but obviously I've spent 6 months doing almost nothing but pulling.

Does it make sense to switch now to a volume day + intensity day setup? I want to keep my progress on the deadlift rolling along since I am right at PR levels.

Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    What's going on here? .
    6'4" 217 maybe?

Fair, but I was squatting ~350 for 5s this time last year before I got hurt weighing maybe 5lbs more.

Working on the bodyweight part.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

You can't read too much into one bad day...try 305 on your next increase and see if it's any easier. Some days 1 lbs is a little heavier than others.

You guys were right - 305 last night was tough but way easier than Saturday at 300... shocking the difference 3 days makes.

RDL's were 325 for 3x5... still have some catching up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Add in some tempo squats and see if they help your tendon issue.
    I can vouch.

starting strength coach development program
    missed last rep for 310... I'm finding that the second squat session of the week feels like garbage, while the first session is off of 3 days rest and I feel pretty good.

Is it possible those heavy RDLs are beating me to shit? My warmup squat sets even at 225 felt pretty rough on Saturday.