starting strength gym

Thread: squat problems with belt

Default squat problems with belt

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys.

Ive recently introduced a belt to my squat. Its causing me some issues.

I have a whole thread on it in the technique section which I'm sure you don't want to read.

The short story is that I'm struggling to locate the belt in a comfortable position and it seems to be affecting the mechanics of my lift, to the extent that last workout I actually fell over forwards. Today I deloaded by 10% to try and fix the problem, and again stumbled forwards on the 4th rep of set 2.

Here is my video of the squat set in which I stumbled forwards (4th rep): http://youtu.be/0IrUoYepLzc

I really don't know whats going on and would appreciate any help you can give on my squat, but also on me using the belt and why its causing me so many problems.

Thankyou.

Dan

What kind of belt are you wearing and how tall are you? Your squats looked fine until you let the bar get in front of the midfoot. Had this ever happened before you introduced the belt?

Its a 4" zulu glove belt, 10mm thick. I am 5' 10".

It had never happened before. I think I have been having it too tight. I backed it off a hole (to hole 3) and widened my stance slightly last night and it was much better. I also put the belt higher on my waist and it wasn't getting in the way as much. However with the belt on hole 3 its hardly tight (I can shufty it around), and others have been saying it should be tighter than this?

I have booked a coaching session with Carl (UK) so really looking forward to that and hopefully he'll help me with the belt.

This could just be a thing that requires a little practice on your part. It needs to be tight enough so that you can contract down around it. Command your body to do your bidding. You are in control of whether you stay balanced. You are not a sea anemone drifting in the current. Get pissed and stand your ground. See if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Just for future reference, getting pissed generally detracts from your balance over here.
    How do pants help or hurt with this?

starting strength coach development program
    These are the kinds of insights you do not run across in the States, my friends. Take note.