starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower Back Fatigue

Default Lower Back Fatigue

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Mark and Friends,

I’ve been having an issue with lower back fatigue. It only occurs during my deadlifting warm up sets and working sets. Even after my first warm up I feel a burning sensation in my back, as if it is already fatigued. Even bending down to change plates causes my lower back to fatigue. By the time I get to my working set, I feel like my lower back has already signed out and it really has been making my deadlift progress extremely difficult, and in some cases impossible.

A week ago, my lower back actually cramped after my working set as well.

The burning subsides maybe after 10 minutes after my deadlifting session ends.

Heres an example of my warm up scheme for deadlift.
    135x5
    185x3
    225x1
    255x1
    275x1x5

I’ve been doing hip flexors lunge stretches and been very aware of my spine to make sure it is not over extended during my workout and throughout the day. I’ve been foam rolling my lower back like a mad man. And after 2 weeks, the fatigue is still very present during my deadlifting. I’ve tried bracing as hard as I possibly can during deadlifts, which helps, but maybe helps 15%.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

PS: I used the search function! And there wasn't much other than "foam roll, foam roll, and deep tissue massage" in which i have done both.

Height, bodyweight, age.

6'2, 214lbs, 22 years old.

I suggest you get your deadlift up to 405 ASAP, and then see how you feel.

Eat more.

6'2, 220lbs here.
    370lb DL and climbing.
    If you weigh less than me you are losing.

I'm going to hold you accountable.

I'm not quite sure what you mean exactly. This issue is what is preventing or disrupting my progress toward heavier weights. Not sure if I follow!

If you say this:

I'm wondering how long you pause between your warmup sets and before the work set. Maybe with carrying the plates around, bending over to put them on etc. it's just not enough. Especially since I guess at that point you already did squats on that day as well.

I have found that lower back burn to stem from not using the bounce out of the bottom and grinding through the reps for squats... considering it is bothering you during warmup sets on DL that might be part of it as well, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cream View Post
    Hello Mark and Friends,

I’ve been having an issue with lower back fatigue. It only occurs during my deadlifting warm up sets and working sets. Even after my first warm up I feel a burning sensation in my back, as if it is already fatigued. Even bending down to change plates causes my lower back to fatigue. By the time I get to my working set, I feel like my lower back has already signed out and it really has been making my deadlift progress extremely difficult, and in some cases impossible.

A week ago, my lower back actually cramped after my working set as well.

Heres an example of my warm up scheme for deadlift.
    135x5
    185x3
    225x1
    255x1
    275x1x5

I’ve been doing hip flexors lunge stretches and been very aware of my spine to make sure it is not over extended during my workout and throughout the day. I’ve been foam rolling my lower back like a mad man. And after 2 weeks, the fatigue is still very present during my deadlifting. I’ve tried bracing as hard as I possibly can during deadlifts, which helps, but maybe helps 15%.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

PS: I used the search function! And there wasn't much other than "foam roll, foam roll, and deep tissue massage" in which i have done both.
    have you tried the warm up app?

starting strength coach development program
    I used to feel that way all the time. Then I got my squat and deadlift (among other lifts) form put in good order by Rip, stef, Steve Hill, Tom Campitelli, Julie, and Ryan at a seminar. At 63 my lower back has never felt this solid. Which is not to say it doesn't get fatigued now and then, but not from the lifting, rather from standing around for long periods at work. I have also been able to dispense with the lengthy and habitual stretching and foam rolling I did for my lower back to keep it feeling good. Which it seldom accomplished.

I got so protective of my lower back I gave up squats and deadlifts entirely by my early 40's in the hopes that back extensions and cable pullthroughs and lots O' ab and other core work would solve my progressively unstable lower back. To no avail. But getting it stronger from the squats and deadlifts did. So look to your form. Or better yet, have someone SS knowledgeable help you improve it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast