starting strength gym

Thread: Press 2.0 help

Default Press 2.0 help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I've been trying for a couple of months to get the Press 2.0 down, and I just can't seem to get it. I think I know mentally what needs to happen, I just can't get my body to do it. I'm hoping you guys can provide some cues that might help, and help me prioritize working on my various form issues.

Here's a set of 5 with just the bar from today.

http://youtu.be/J_lQ6YKvv3M

My assessment:

1. Too much layback, and coming too much from the lower back rather than the hips. Believe it or not, this is an improvement over previous attempts.

2. I start moving the bar before the bounce.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If you need to see a heavier set to better assess things, I can post one. My current PR is 105# with terrible form.

Well, you certainly have the speed portion of the lift down. Aside from those being light, you have the idea. You are starting from a position of low back overextension. Get to a more neutral position. Don't arch your back quite as much. Straighten your wrists out. Right now, they are fully extended. Get your elbows in front of the bar. This will result in the bar riding higher and probably will not be in contact with your shoulders. That's okay. It will provide a little room for the bar to dip and initiate a stretch reflex before going up.

Great, thanks. I re-watched the platform video after submitting this post and realized that they're not quite as bad as I thought. I'll work on the back arch and wrists and post a video with some weight on tomorrow.

Did 85x5x3 today, trying to focus on standing up straighter and keeping my wrists straight. I think both things still need work. The video of my last set is below. Any further advice?

http://youtu.be/cEGfSaqkK-I

Get to a more neutral back position in the beginning. You are leaning very far back and are in overextension. Allow the bar to dip down like a piston about an inch or two before driving it back up. Hips, dip, drive the bar up.