starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Physical Function and Aging

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have treated hundreds of elderly for fractures from falls and I am quite sure that close to nobody of them would had benefit from this type of training.

It is already an achievement If you train them to stand up from a chair 10x in a row. And it helps when you train them to stand up from the floor after a fall (with no hip broken).

But thinking you can give an old person skills needed to fall without hurting is like thinking you can train someone to disarm an aggressor training with a plastic knife in slow motion

Hurling: you didn't answer my question. Just admit you fucked up, and we'll forgive you. And please don't try to teach an old person how to fall just to prove that your blurted-out comment was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Hurling: you didn't answer my question. Just admit you fucked up, and we'll forgive you. And please don't try to teach an old person how to fall just to prove that your blurted-out comment was correct.
    As I said in my response, your question lacks a key word, or you typo'd something when you meant something else. So until you clarify what you meant . . .

In any event, I'll stick to what I know best. Thanks for your input, however it might have been meant.

You know what, I see where Hurling is going with this. This has inspired me to teach 3-5 year olds how to properly choke on a piece of hot dog. Thanks Hurling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    As I said in my response, your question lacks a key word, or you typo'd something when you meant something else. So until you clarify what you meant . . .

In any event, I'll stick to what I know best. Thanks for your input, however it might have been meant.
    My question: "How many 89-year-olds have to taught this way?" Taught to fall. The way you laboriously described. What other key words are we missing here?

One of my horse trainers taught me to properly fall off a horse once. But it is better not to fall off in the first place. So don’t pull back on the reins when the horse rears.

Mark H I do this all the time with the Mrs, just kiss the floor when she goes past, saves time, then I go get lunch. Ha!

My question: "How many 89-year-olds have to taught this way?" Taught to fall. The way you laboriously described. What other key words are we missing here?
    OK, now we're getting somewhere. How about the phrase "How many 89-year-olds have YOU taught this way?" It appears that is what you meant to say.

As for it being a laborious description, I guess it's still shorter than the totality of words used to describe how to squat. Just as a for instance. I learned how to use words to describe complex movements from reading the blue book published by Aasgaard. Thanks for that. It has proven useful in describing some even more complex throws, joint locks, and chokes. To name just a few categories of techniques.

In any event, the oldest person I have taught to fall was in his mid 70's. It was in a Jujitsu class and he was far from being fit and he was falling on an ordinary folding mat. He was fine. I have also taught probably half a dozen 60-somethings in the same circumstances.

Even learning to fall safely is not without it's risks or hazards. Even so, it beats hoping it won't happen, despite getting stronger. As I said, stronger first. It's more important. But stopping there and trusting to fate and good fortune seems less than optimal. But maybe that's just me.

My apologies for the typo. But you are trying to generalize the experiences of a few members of a Jiu Jitzu class to the frail elderly general public. And this is crazy, dangerous, and foolish.

starting strength coach development program
    I went to visit My Aunt at a local retirement village. She was in hospital for 5 days because she fell and dislocated her shoulder. If folk fall forward they put their arms out to break that fall, however because they are frail damage or break bones or in this case pop a shoulder. She does no physical exercise however the physio has given her a resistance band to stretch.

I am not aware maybe they do, but I have never observed any strength training in these places, I have seen them do that Tai Chi though . Correct me if I am wrong, but retirement villages appear to be too frightened to strength train residents over a certain age in case they injure themselves and have to explain to the relatives, better just sit them down and let them rust out like an old car in the shed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast