starting strength gym
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: the pants problem

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I didn't really read any of the other replies, but..

These types of threads always get started. I have to wonder if 99% of the time people are trying to fit into skinny/slim/straight legged pants and then claiming their massive legs don't fit?

Dress Pants - Dockers D3 ("eased through seat and thigh") or D4 ("full through seat and thigh") both fit comfortably to me. Granted, I'm not a big guy, but even I can't fit into the other fits using my actual waist size.

Jeans - Express Loose Fit Blake Jeans - these have been my goto for a several years, but finding a non douchey color/finish can be hard. I usually just order online.

I actually just found some new jeans at JCP last week. Lee "Modern Straight", which have a wider leg (but not as wide as loose fit jeans), and a little bit of spandex (1% IIRC) to be a little strectchy. They are advertising as "Active Comfort features extreme range of motion" so I busted out some bodyweight squats while trying them on to test it out.

tldr: LOOSE FIT. LOOOOOSE FIT. quit trying to buy skinny jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    tldr: LOOSE FIT. LOOOOOSE FIT. quit trying to buy skinny jeans.
    This. A lot of "fashionable" designers out there all make skinny fucking jeans and skinny fucking dress pants.

But there's still a lot of places out there that make "normal" clothing for those with waist-to-ass ratios that differ from the typical pretty boy fashion public.

I don't have this problem now but when I was around 10 years old I remember having corduroy pants that wore out on the inner thighs . I used to get my clothes at a store that specialized in the HUSKY size. I am 5'11" and about 202. The jeans I find most comfortable are called Duluth Ball Room Jeans.

We shleps praise Duluth baggy pants! Sturdy, baggy, lots of big pockets, everything but fashion.

Really appreciate the info about the Nordstrom Rack shirts, dmw. Hope they actually fit me decently. I've tried everything to get a properly fitting shirt for <$100. I've had so-called slim fit shirts altered, and even had a shirt custom-made by the good people of Asia (it took like 2 months and didn't come out that well). Sometimes I even wear shirts which are too small in the neck with a "button extender" but it looks ridiculous, as you can imagine. The Nordstrom Rack tip will turn out to be a lifesaver if they fit like you say.

I still hate all of you bastards complaining about pants that don't fit. My massive 22's don't seem to cause any trouble even with straight-leg style pants.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    But KotJ has pics and says dongspace is a problem, Skillinator.
    His trunk junk is occupying the ballroom.

...You people can still fit into pants?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Really appreciate the info about the Nordstrom Rack shirts, dmw. Hope they actually fit me decently. I've tried everything to get a properly fitting shirt for <$100. I've had so-called slim fit shirts altered, and even had a shirt custom-made by the good people of Asia (it took like 2 months and didn't come out that well). Sometimes I even wear shirts which are too small in the neck with a "button extender" but it looks ridiculous, as you can imagine. The Nordstrom Rack tip will turn out to be a lifesaver if they fit like you say.

I still hate all of you bastards complaining about pants that don't fit. My massive 22's don't seem to cause any trouble even with straight-leg style pants.
    I shopped around and looked up manufacturing specs and found the shirts with the largest differential between chest measurement and waist measurement, and the Nordstrom/Rack Trim-Fit were the answer. Having said that, I don't have particularly large shoulders, so someone with more of the "classic V" might still have to opt for the tailored route. It's a pretty standard YMMV situation.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Do you have a profile too? Dongspace is the future of social media: its like grindr meets interstellar

I'm just glad I dont have a big dick. Pants would be impossible. On the real, young homies, I've spent several hours trying on pretty much every style of pants at jcpenney, sears, some work clothing store with carhartt and dickies, Macy's, Nordstrom and its little rack, and have not had any luck. But that was months ago. Being 5'8" and 217(at the time, 240 now) is damn difficult.

Throw in t Rex arms and a short inseam, and my shopping ventures result in a bukkake of disappointment and pants that dont fit right.

Been rocking the same two pairs of Levi's 569 at work for about 9 months. Size 38, no belt, top ass hoists it up. Kinda digs into waist. And size 40 with belt. Ball-denim cloister in both, unless pants are "sagged"
    5'8", 240? Have you considered a kilt?

Quote Originally Posted by dmworking View Post
    I shopped around and looked up manufacturing specs and found the shirts with the largest differential between chest measurement and waist measurement, and the Nordstrom/Rack Trim-Fit were the answer. Having said that, I don't have particularly large shoulders, so someone with more of the "classic V" might still have to opt for the tailored route. It's a pretty standard YMMV situation.
    I have a big upper back and neck for my size. I have yet to find anyone that makes a shirt with a 16" neck and a 32-33" sleeve that's not for an enormously fat guy, even if it's nominally slim/trim/tailored/tapered etc...

I needed new shirts anyway, so if I have to live with continuing to have Rocky the Flying squirrel flaps until I burn through 4 more shirts, so be it. If they fit me better than my outgoing shirts, all the better.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    what about jeans?
    One word: Elastane

More words: The only jeans I - 6'1, 275, c40 inch waist - can wear are Levi 514s with 1% elastane. They stretch. I love them. I have to get shirts and suits made to measure by a guy from Thailand. I don't love him.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast