starting strength gym

Thread: Strength Training as an Opera Singer

Default Strength Training as an Opera Singer

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I think I may have a question/scenario that you haven't received before.
    I'm currently working for the opera, and I happen to have been bitten by the barbell training bug.
    As you and the facts have taught me, I use the Valsalva maneuver whilst training.
    I'm assuming singing and vocal health isn't a secondary field of expertise for you, but do you happen to be aware of any serious affect on the vocal folds or the surrounding tissues? I'm concerned mainly with inflammation of the folds or hoarseness. I'm aware that like after almost any physical activity there will be fatigue... Most anything can wear on the voice, but do you know of any prolonged or harmful effects. Do you know where I may be able to look or who I May be able to ask otherwise?

I really enjoy lifting heavy things, but if for some reason the lifestyle isn't conducive to completely optimal vocal health... Well, I'll be very disappointed.

-Adam Piper

Professional singer here.

When performing the Valsalva while lifting, the vocal folds form a seal, resulting in a closed glottis. You do the same thing when you cough (very short), sneeze (a little longer), poop (even longer), etc. As long as you don't audibly grunt or groan while under load, there will be absolutely zero detrimental effects on your vocal folds.

I don't have any scientific evidence to support this, but I believe weight training has actually improved my singing. It may be that since the thorax is engaged when performing the valsalva, the laryngeal musculature is thereby strengthened. Before beginning weight training, I struggled with F above middle C. Three years later, I have an effortless F, a comfortable F#, and even a G on my best days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    I don't have any scientific evidence to support this, but I believe weight training has actually improved my singing. It may be that since the thorax is engaged when performing the valsalva, the laryngeal musculature is thereby strengthened. Before beginning weight training, I struggled with F above middle C. Three years later, I have an effortless F, a comfortable F#, and even a G on my best days.
    That's interesting, Nick. You didn't do anything different except train?

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    That's interesting, Nick. You didn't do anything different except train?
    I suppose the other main difference is that I sang less. I went from singing several hours a day in college and grad school to mainly only singing whenever I prepped or led rehearsals. I don't think singing less is a good strategy for increasing range, though.

Regardless of training, the fact that I aged from 26 to 29 during that period also may be a factor.

Hi Nick,

Very glad to stumble across this forum. I'm a hobbyist singer and lifter, and had a previous voice teacher tell me that lifting was interfering with my singing. Would love to discuss this topic with you more or do a lesson online if that's something you do. Let me know the best way to contact you. You can also contact me at Sunil.rao.93@gmail.com.