starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garage gym

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    I have a dilemma. The spotter arms just arrived, but since my garage is built up on a couple feet of cinder blocks, we had to install the lower half right above the blocks. Therefore, in order to put the spotter arms low enough, they fold down and are stopped by the bolts before locking into place. I called Rogue and they did not have any suggestions for any other products they have or any work around. I'm curious if anybody has encountered this yet and what they were able to do for safety. I did a whole bunch of internet searching and really found nothing that would work. I'm probably not explaining this well, and I linked the rack below to try to allow a visual of what I am talking about.

I took a picture of my set-up in the garage and can post that also if somebody can tell me how to post pictures here. Thanks!

Rogue RML-3W Fold Back Wall Mount Rack | Rogue Fitness
    Yeah, pictures will help (imgur is pretty easy), but it sounds like you mounted the lower brackets/hinges higher on the wall than is recommended because of the cinder blocks at the bottom of the wall? You can't mount a stringer lower (on/across the cinder blocks) like in their pictures? Admittedly, I am no expert, but it seems like it's doable.

Update: yes you can drill into cinder block but I believe it should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. It would also require a commercial grade drill that's pretty expensive.

What we ended up doing was putting 4 pieces of wood in front of the original 2x8 stringers. This made it thick enough to run level with where the cinder blocks come out to. We then ran 2 vertical 2x8's, attaching them to the new wood. Now we could attach the top 2 parts of the rack back into the same spot, and the bottom 2 into the new vertical stringers down near the ground, in front of the cinder blocks. This thing is in there solid man. Tornado hits, it might be the only thing left standing.

Thank goodness my father in law is ridiculously handy. I'll get some pictures up eventually.

I'm surprised no one mentioned that if you mount your rack on a side wall, you will have a slanted uneven rack due to the pitch of your garage floor. If you think you won't notice, try squatting next time with a piece of cardboard under one foot.

Not if your garage floor is level

Just make sure to check (maybe you have). I was thinking of placing our rack sideways, but discovered our garage floor is a bit slanted for water drainage in case of flooding from heavy rains.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Not if your garage floor is level
    It won't be level unless you poured it yourself without a building permit or inspection. It's in the building code.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
    It won't be level unless you poured it yourself without a building permit or inspection. It's in the building code.
    Depends on when and where your house was built, and whether it is a drive-under garage or not.

My house was built in 1991 or so (not by me) and my garage floor is perfectly level. And I mean perfectly.

I'm surprised no one mentioned that if you mount your rack on a side wall, you will have a slanted uneven rack due to the pitch of your garage floor. If you think you won't notice, try squatting next time with a piece of cardboard under one foot.
    I'm starting to worry about this. I think that my rack is 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch lower on the left than on the right. This will probably cause some problems. I might experiment with some self leveling concrete, but I worry that a mistake will just ruin the floor. It's not like I can simply remove a layer of concrete. . . .

The ceiling is too low to build a level platform. I might be able to get a sheet of plywood in there, but I worry that moisture will be trapped. Damn basements.

starting strength coach development program
    ^ can you just rotate your rack 90 degrees to your left? So, rather than having a lateral slope (dangerous), you're instead lifting on a gentle decline (not too big a deal so long as deadlifts don't roll away from you).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast