starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluteus insertion pain

Default Gluteus insertion pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I posted this in the recovery section but it occurred to me that my fellow Geezers might have the answer to this:

I have developed pain just below and around the back of the greater trochanter (point of the hip). The books indicate that this is the insertion point for much of the Gluteus Maximus. Everything I read outside of this forum says to rest and ice it. Searching in this forum yields mixed advice. I clearly don't have a muscle belly tear, so the Starr Protocol my not be appropriate. But there was a compelling post showing tendons healing with and without "work". The tendon that healed without aggressive rehab was a mess. The tendon which was rehabbed looked much better. My question is, what is the right rehab protocol for a tendon injury?

It would help to have more info to determine the cause of the pain - the tissues involved.

When do you feel the pain? Do you feel the pain w/hip extension? Loaded or unloaded? If you are lying in bed or on the couch, do you feel pain w/pressure over the area? Bursitis? Do you feel pain w/stretching? If so which stretches hurt? Pain w/palpation?

No pain with squats, though it hurts after squats and DLs. Hurts with palpitation. Hurts when I tense all the hip muscles isometricly. Really seems to be right where the pictures show the gluteus Maximus inserting into the femur.

Oh and twinges when I walk. No change after a week of rest and air squats.

I'll just take a flyer here Gene. The greater trochanter is on the outside of the femur as I recall, correct?

Maybe some foam rolling on the outer side of the thigh to loosen up the ITB might be the shit hot ticket.

Just now, I am suffering through some L5 pain of my own that has kept me from squats and deadlifts intermittently for a few months, perhaps I should do likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I'll just take a flyer here Gene. The greater trochanter is on the outside of the femur as I recall, correct?

Maybe some foam rolling on the outer side of the thigh to loosen up the ITB might be the shit hot ticket.

Just now, I am suffering through some L5 pain of my own that has kept me from squats and deadlifts intermittently for a few months, perhaps I should do likewise.
    Thanks, Mark. I did try to just ignore it for a couple weeks, but it got worse. I've now taken a week off from workouts and it's better. Maybe another week and I'll start up again with light pink weights.

You say it hurts w/palpation? And is that right where glute max inserts into the femur? Seems to me that if you were having problems w/the GM at the attachment on the femur, that there w/b pain while doing LB squats. There c/b a bursa there, but it w/b too deep for ice to penetrate. Sorry I can't tell you more. A good ortho or body worker could tell you more after doing active and passive ROM testing, along w/manual resistive tests and palpation.

Thanks, Bruce. I've rested it another week and there doesn't seem to be any improvement. Time to have it checked out.

Went to a physio. Said I just needed to rest it for another couple of weeks. I could have guessed she would say that! The pain is down to about half of what it was. I'm traveling the next couple of weeks anyway. I'll be back at it the 2nd week of Jan. I can already feel myself getting weaker! It's going to be DOMS city!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    Went to a physio. Said I just needed to rest it for another couple of weeks. I could have guessed she would say that! The pain is down to about half of what it was. I'm traveling the next couple of weeks anyway. I'll be back at it the 2nd week of Jan. I can already feel myself getting weaker! It's going to be DOMS city!
    No physical exam? Did she give you a diagnosis?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast