starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Varicocele and heavy lifting

Default Varicocele and heavy lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark,

I've been diagnosed with Varicocele. My question is, can heavy lifting, especially when using the valsalva maneuver, worsen the varicocele?.
    I've seen some contradicting answers to this, some says it's unrelated, some says it's OK only as long as you don't feel any pain in the testicales, some says lifting worsen the varicocele and can even cause it, all were answers from Doctors.

I'm really confused about it, and i don't want to quit lifting, but i also don't want to mess with my fertility and testosterone and worsen my Varicocele.

What is your input regarding this?. i really looked up this topic and didn't find a definitive answer.

Thanks.

I have NEVER heard of a lifter at any stage of development complain of developing a varicocele as a result of lifting weights. Never. But, maybe the doctor who thinks it happens has been associated with more lifters than me. We'll ask the board.

Thanks for your reply.
    What about worsening an existing Varicocele, do you know if that could happen?.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...-valsalva.html

The board has already been asked. Check this thread out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobnorton View Post
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...-valsalva.html

The board has already been asked. Check this thread out.
    I've seen this thread, although the last reply has a nice list of things the OP wanted to share with others, the thread doesn't contain any professional information from a reliable source. It has some info on varicose veins in the legs, but this is not the same case as varicose veins in the testicles.
    Last edited by Wzo4; 07-06-2015 at 05:49 PM.

What did the doctors offered you in terms of treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by Wzo4 View Post
    I've seen this thread, although the last reply has a nice list of things the OP wanted to share with others, the thread doesn't contain any professional information from a reliable source. It has some info on varicose veins in the legs, but this is not the same case as varicose veins in the testicles.
    There's probably no professional information from a reliable source because it's not a problem, and you need worry about it no more than you need to worry about your pinky finger ripping off while deadlifting; I'm not sure if there's any professional information from a reliable source on that either. If it bothers you, gets worse, or gives you sperm count problems, then just get it fixed. Otherwise, support the boys while you're walking around, and keep adding weight to the bar and don't worry about it. What would you do if you got diagnosed with a hemorrhoid? Stop lifting forever?

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    There's probably no professional information from a reliable source because it's not a problem, and you need worry about it no more than you need to worry about your pinky finger ripping off while deadlifting; I'm not sure if there's any professional information from a reliable source on that either. If it bothers you, gets worse, or gives you sperm count problems, then just get it fixed. Otherwise, support the boys while you're walking around, and keep adding weight to the bar and don't worry about it. What would you do if you got diagnosed with a hemorrhoid? Stop lifting forever?
    The thing is that ripping the pinky off is much less worrying than messing with your testicles and causing permanent damage to your sperm and testosterone levels.

I've asked a professor and he said that heavy lifting is very probable to worsen the Varicocele because of the valsalva maneuver and the increased intra-abdominal pressure, which seems logical...

Maybe i'll get it fixed by an operation, the problem is that i have only light varicocele so operation is not required.
    Last edited by Wzo4; 07-08-2015 at 08:30 AM.

The thing is that ripping the pinky off is much less worrying than messing with your testicles and causing permanent damage to your sperm and testosterone levels.
    Regarding 'permanent':

Varicocles are just like varicose veins in the legs or hemorrhoids. They cause pooling of blood in the scrotum and a rise in testicular temperature. Even a one degree rise in testicular temperature can have an adverse effect on sperm production and testosterone function.

The good news is that varicoceles are treatable. Dozens of reports have been published demonstrating the benefit of varicocele surgery to improve sperm counts. Yet, varicocele repair remains controversial, particularly for small varicoceles that cannot be seen or felt on a physical exam. Studies have known greater improvements in semen quality for repair of large varicoceles compared with smaller ones.

...In conclusion, varicocele repair is a cost-effective treatment for infertility. Men can upgrade to normal semen, which can allow for a natural pregnancy, or upgrade to semen of adequate quality for intrauterine insemination. Men with azoospermia may produce ejaculated sperm adequate for ICSI. Even if a man remains azoospermic, varicocele repair may enhance spermatogenesis allowing enough sperm production for ICSI. Finally, microsurgical varicocelectomy will improve testosterone levels in a majority of men, which is a men’s health issue aside from infertility.

Male Factor Infertility: How Varicocele Repair Can Be an Effective Treatment - RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association
    Here's another example:

It seems that fertile and infertile men with varicocele have similar semen parameters with those without the condition. Thus, it is speculated that varicocele affects fertility and sperm quality in some, but not in all men. Another assumption is that sperm quality is not affected by varicocele as such, but simply coexists in some men with idiopathic infertility and abnormal semen parameters.

Male infertility and varicocele: myths and reality
    Of course, be sure to read the full articles/studies and do your own research as well.

I've asked a professor and he said that heavy lifting is very probable to worsen the Varicocele because of the valsalva maneuver and the increased intra-abdominal pressure, which seems logical...
    So your professor doesn't know either. He's just guessing. Ask him how much evidence or personal experience he has with worsening varicoceles as a result of heavy weightlifting.

Maybe i'll get it fixed by an operation, the problem is that i have only light varicocele so operation is not required.
    All of this is really besides the point. The question is: What are you going to do in the meantime? Lift, or not lift?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    Regarding 'permanent':

Here's another example:

Of course, be sure to read the full articles/studies and do your own research as well.

So your professor doesn't know either. He's just guessing. Ask him how much evidence or personal experience he has with worsening varicoceles as a result of heavy weightlifting.

All of this is really besides the point. The question is: What are you going to do in the meantime? Lift, or not lift?
    Well, i know that the topic of Varicocele is quite controversial, but the risks are high, that's why i'm worried.
    Anyway, i don't feel my Varicocele when lifting, so i'll keep lifting and check it every 6 months at the urologist to be sure everything is OK down there.
    It's still kinda worrying though, but i don't want to give up lifting either...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast