starting strength gym

Thread: Unexpected Benefit from my DL contraption

Default Unexpected Benefit from my DL contraption

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I made a couple of these stands because as a rank novice, I like doing a warmup set or two with less than 90lb (i.e., 2 45# plates) added to the bar. They make loading the bar easy and keep it at virtually the same height as if resting on 45s.

During these warm-ups I noticed I was finishing the rep by hitting the inclined surface of the small block on top (the one farthest from the photographer) - meaning I was slightly shifting forward, even though the bar never left contact with my leg. Turns out I was subtly shifting my weight towards the front of my foot. Since they were giving me this cue, I decided to keep using the stands even for sets with 45s on the bar.

By the time I hit the work set, I had learned to be aware of this. I made tiny adjustments to my overall movement based on this awareness. Now, for the work sets I always hit the flat surface (there's a 2.5 inch flat space between the two beveled blocks)

For this reason I think I will keep using these stands. I guess the reason I'm posting is to check if the knowledgeable out there see anything wrong with this.

I don't think people normally put the weight down on a DL in the EXACT same spot it leaves the floor from.
    I, myself, go thru a little reset/rebrace procedure between reps . . . some guys start the next rep immediately, so maybe that bar landing in a good spot in more important so you don't have to roll around.

It might also depend on how much weight? If your DL'ing a respectable amount, yes, I see it coming straight down, and it not giving a fuck on some small horizontal inputs.
    But lighter weights, your body might go thru different kinematics to simply put it down to save wear/stress on your back.

Me, I don't think this is so important, I would be more worried about bar path on the ascent.