starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building A Platform

Default Building A Platform

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Does Rip have a video for constructing one? I searched YouTube but couldn't find anything. Any useful links would be greatly appreciated. I know that there are instructions in SS, but a video demonstration would be helpful. Thanks!

No.

Not sure how watching someone else stacking a few pieces of plywood +/ rubber and securing them could be helpful at all. Unless you were watching someone else do the minimal bit of labour for you while you watched them do it.

Is there some part you're unclear on?

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    No.

Not sure how watching someone else stacking a few pieces of plywood +/ rubber and securing them could be helpful at all. Unless you were watching someone else do the minimal bit of labour for you while you watched them do it.

Is there some part you're unclear on?
    I saw some guy setup a s3 rack and platform on reddit with a fast time lapse video. it didn't hold my attention

Well, no, I'm pretty clear on it. The instructions in the book are pretty clear. I admit, I'm not the best builder but my carpenter buddy is going to help me out, and no, I'm not just going to sit there and watch. I'm going to lend a helping hand however I can. I purchased two 4x6 pieces of trailer mat yesterday ( I'm decently strong and that was kind of a task in itself hauling those things by myself). I'm going to purchase plywood later this week. I want to follow the specs in SS3 as close as possible. My power rack has slightly different dimensions than the one in the book, so modifications will have to be taken into account for that. To my defense, Rip has a video for just about everything else, from: oiling your bar, building a dumbbell rack, and managing callouses, so I just figured that he may have made one about building a platform.

The platform is simple, really. What you want to be careful of is that you end up with a platform that is the correct height against the rack. Plywood dimensions are actual dimensions (4' x 8' x 3/4", example) which makes is nice for those who aren't used to 2x4 fictions.

Now, if you want a video, Rip does give a mean lesson on handling and cutting rubber...but you'd have to visit WFAC for full effect. Nick Delgadillo can confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    The platform is simple, really. What you want to be careful of is that you end up with a platform that is the correct height against the rack. Plywood dimensions are actual dimensions (4' x 8' x 3/4", example) which makes is nice for those who aren't used to 2x4 fictions.

Now, if you want a video, Rip does give a mean lesson on handling and cutting rubber...but you'd have to visit WFAC for full effect. Nick Delgadillo can confirm.
    This is so funny. During my visit Nick was filling me in on the expansiveness, thoroughness and expressiveness of Rip's handling and cutting rubber lesson.

It was quite insightful. As was the lesson on tree pruning/Texas pecan varieties, North Texas weather patterns, and serving on the grand jury.

most everyone does something similar to this:

just layer 4'x8's plywood alternating directions.
    Some say screw and glue . . . .some say screw so can be taken apart and moved easier.

two 4'x8' rubber sheets.

but I like this . . .more time and $$$ . . .you fill the side wells with carpet, padding, or whatever . . .harder rubber layer on top. trying for a "dead bounce" . . . kills the noise a little.

shown before the last layer of center plywood was installed.
    So you get the idea.

Million of these plans/ideas/suggestions on google

Smart work with the 2x4's.

Any advice on where to get cheaper interlocking rubber squares? I'm using horse mats, but the individual pieces tend to drift. Could solve that with:

1. A 'rim' around the platform.
    2. Screw the mats into the platform
    3. Replace the mats with squares such as I see in your picture above. Then I think the interlocked whole would be less prone to slip.

Vince

starting strength coach development program
    That last platform...wow. The price tag on my eventual platform build keeps going up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast