starting strength gym

Thread: [Jerks] Something unusual, part III

Default [Jerks] Something unusual, part III

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

and welcome to the third instalment of my quest to jerk better. A quick recap is in order before getting into today's episode.
    Male, 46yo, 6', ~200# (maybe a couple more as of late).
    Back in June I could Jerk 72Kg, but my form was questionable. I had been jerking for quite some time, but I had never managed to get rid of the tendency to swing the torso forward at the bottom of the dip. It was never a problem of knowing what to do, but simply to execute it correctly. I just didn't seem to be able to do it. So I came here and asked for some help (http://startingstrength.com/resource...t-unusual.html).

Armed with the advice I received in that thread, I spent some time rebuilding my movement. By September, there had been some improvement, albeit with just 53Kg on the bar, and I got some encouraging comments (http://startingstrength.com/resource...nusual-ii.html). The question was: could I do it with more weight?

This brings us to today. Below you can see a video of tonight's lifts (despite being 12C outside, I decided to lift in a thermal t-shirt to make my arms more visible). I'm back to 70Kg, but hopefully with better form than I had in June.

https://vimeo.com/146935872

I have also prepared a little comparison video, with one lift each from June, September and tonight, slowed down to 50% speed. This should make it easier to see if I have managed to maintain the improvements since the last time I came around here.

https://vimeo.com/146935864

I'm still working on the basis of the help I received back in June. As I said above, I know what to do and how to cue it, but I find it difficult to execute. Because of this, this request is more to check that I am staying on the right path, rather than ask for a new one.

And I think that's it. Many thanks to everyone who will spare some of their precious time to help.

IPB

You still shift on to your toes a bit on the way down. Here's a potential cue to help. Think of making the bar move backwards as you begin the dip. I don't actually want the bar to move backwards, but try it. Talk to me about how many kilos you have added to your squat since your last posting.

I find this is a really common problem. Your problem is the dip, that's where you're losing the jerk (or rather that's what you ought to fix). Slow the dip down a shit ton. Focus on the balance of forces across the foot. You need to remain in balance over the midfoot. Then explode up and jerk from this position of balance. What's happening now is your are dipping down quickly (too quickly to be aware of the subtle forward shift) shifting slightly forward and thus jerking forward. If the weight were heavier, you would lose the bar forward. To drill the fuck out of this I would do very slow dips and paused dips on my split jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Talk to me about how many kilos you have added to your squat since your last posting.
    None.
    My training cycle ends next week. I'll be happy to go from 130 to 135 (Kgs). I know I need to get stronger, but I'd rather keep this thread for technical advice only.

On that subject, thanks for the cue. I am currently trying to visualise throwing the bar back on the drive phase, as suggested by Tom (Di Stasio) in an earlier thread. When I get the time I'll experiment with your suggestion, and see if it works better.
    Stef's advice about cutting the depth of the dip was also very useful, although I think I might be drifting too deep again, so that needs a refresher too.

Many thanks as usual for your unstinting dedication to giving advice.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    None.
    My training cycle ends next week. I'll be happy to go from 130 to 135 (Kgs). I know I need to get stronger, but I'd rather keep this thread for technical advice only.
    To treat technique as being divorced from strength is a common misconception.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 12-01-2015 at 11:54 PM.