starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I do if I can't complete 3x5?

NoodleArms Guest

Default What should I do if I can't complete 3x5?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I recently started working out for the first time ever, and just finished my 6th workout.

I find I always do ok on the first set but I tire out on my second so it looks like 5/4/3 or 5/3/2 instead of 5/5/5. What is the correct course of action here:

1) Should I start with a lower weight right from the 1st set?

or

2) Should I reduce the weight on my 3rd set?

Today I was benching 135 lbs and was able to complete the 5 reps of the 1st set at 135 with proper form, but in my 2nd set could only do 4. So on my 3rd set I simply reduced it to 115 and then I was able to complete all 5 reps. Was that the wrong thing to do, should I have just started at 115? I have the same problem with my squat and overhead press. I don't have the problem on my deadlifts because I only do 1 set of those and never have a problem completing all 5 reps.

How must rest are you taking between sets?

NoodleArms Guest

about 2 minutes

Start at a lower weight on all your exercises. Get used to resting 5 minutes between each set. Soon you'll have to start resting 10 minutes between each set.

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleArms View Post
    about 2 minutes
    I'll be the first to suggest reading the book. It's really a good book. Answers a lot of these basic questions and will keep you from making such obvious mistakes as this.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    A book? A book about what? Who writes it?
    It's called the bible, and it deals with magic. You are in it at times. Some old geezers.

NoodleArms Guest

Ok so I will increase my rest to 5 minutes, or even longer, and see if that helps. If I still can't finish 5/5/5/ with proper form then I will start with a lower weight until I can, but I won't reduce the weight on the 3rd set like I did last time.

I have read the book but forgot a lot of the info in it. I am dyslexic and can't absorb much info by reading a book. I simply forget what I read if I try to take in too much at once. I find it easiest to remember stuff by reading short, to the point articles, like the one just posted above, which was helpful, thanks for posting it.

It's interesting that the advice from some quarters on here is always "read the book" when surely experience shows that "reading the book" isn't a very useful learning technique for a whole lot of people.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    It's interesting that the advice from some quarters on here is always "read the book" when surely experience shows that "reading the book" isn't a very useful learning technique for a whole lot of people.
    They can always hire a coach. Starting Strength Coaches Association We read the book so you don't have to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast