starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airdyne bike purchase?

Default Airdyne bike purchase?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thinking of making this my next home gym purchase, as I have nothing feasible atm for HIIT and conditioning. From the couple threads I could find about these back in 2015, it seems like the Schwinn AD2, AD4, and AD6 are the best options.

I know a couple people back then said the AD 2 was holding up well. Is that still the case? I'm of the belief to buy nice, not twice. Is there a significant quality difference between these 3 bikes, and is a display necessary? From my understanding, the bike just adds resistance based on how hard you pedal, so the only benefit to having a display really is to keep time, which a simple watch or stopwatch could do just as easily.

Is there anything I'm missing here, and does the display account for most of the cost differences, or is the quality significantly better?

It looks like the wheel is bigger too on the AD 4 and 6. I've never used an airdyne, and would appreciate some input before making this purchase.

The AD4s are older, and they are pretty universally great. Get a gray one instead of a white one if you can - just newer, typically with a better computer.

The AD6 is the "current" model. It's also very nice. The AD2 is the budget version. It'll probably be fine, but I find it hard to justify spending >$300 on a new one when you can still find good AD4s for less than $200. I think an AD4 in good condition is a better unit than a new AD2.

Forgot to say - use Craigslist to find an AD4.

I bought the newest model ad2. Meh. The first one I bought broke within 2 weeks. The replacement has had no issues, but I don't have the warm fuzzies that the ad2 will survive a decade of max effort sprints.

In terms of workout quality, the fan on the ad2 provides plenty of resistance. I've topped out at 155ish rpm, and it was fighting back hard.

If this is going to be your primary piece of cardio equipment, I'd probably spurge for an assault bike.

Note: I have no experience with old model airdynes.
    Last edited by John Hanley; 01-29-2016 at 12:19 PM.

The Airdyne is great. My wife bought ours at a garage sale for $5.00

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    The AD6 is the "current" model. It's also very nice.
    I have an AD6. It's okay, but if I had to do it again I'd either go up to an assault bike or down to a used one. The computer on the AD6 is worthless, RPM's peg out at 100. The watt meter 0's out at some point, maybe > 650-700w. Both values are not very hard to reach.

Quote Originally Posted by ajvd View Post
    I have an AD6. It's okay, but if I had to do it again I'd either go up to an assault bike or down to a used one. The computer on the AD6 is worthless, RPM's peg out at 100. The watt meter 0's out at some point, maybe > 650-700w. Both values are not very hard to reach.
    I kind of craigslist'ed my way up from a beat up Airdyne Evolution (bad) to an AD4 (good) to an AD6. I like the AD6 the best because the crankarm design is so much better. But as far as sturdiness and quality of toenail-vomiting achievement the AD4 was just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I bought the newest model ad2. Meh. The first one I bought broke within 2 weeks. The replacement has had no issues, but I don't have the warm fuzzies that the ad2 will survive a decade of max effort sprints.

In terms of workout quality, the fan on the ad2 provides plenty of resistance. I've topped out at 155ish rpm, and it was fighting back hard.

If this is going to be your primary piece of cardio equipment, I'd probably spurge for an assault bike.

Note: I have no experience with old model airdynes.
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Agreed
    OP, I have the assault air bike and it's great. Solid construction. I considered an AD6, and I'm sure it's fine too, but I'm glad I went with this. It's built to withstand max effort sprints for many, many years.... which might be something you regret

Thanks all for feedback.

I found this deal about 30m from me...apparently it's a Schwinn Airdyne Comp which he claims is from early 2000s, American made, and was $1200 new. He doesn't want to go any less than $300. Should I jump on it rather than say a brand new AD2 shipped for $400?

Airdyne Bike Great Condition Commercial Model

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Thanks all for feedback.

I found this deal about 30m from me...apparently it's a Schwinn Airdyne Comp which he claims is from early 2000s, American made, and was $1200 new. He doesn't want to go any less than $300. Should I jump on it rather than say a brand new AD2 shipped for $400?

Airdyne Bike Great Condition Commercial Model
    $1200 new? I have a hard time believing that guy.

I'd probably go with the new ad2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast