starting strength gym

Thread: Hip Joint Pain Squatting Below Parallel

Default Hip Joint Pain Squatting Below Parallel

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I started squatting again last week after 2 months off with 135 lbs on the bar (high bar position) with the same stance I've always taken (feet slightly wider than hips, toes pointed slightly out), my knees did begin to buckle in towards the last few reps of the third set in subsequent workouts and I ended up with a pain deep in my hip joints whenever I squatted below parallel. Last Monday, I attempted to address the knees buckling in my pushing them out and it did seem to slightly alleviate the pain but there was still pain so I stopped squatting that session after the first set. I've noticed the pain disappeared whenever I rested between sets and only appeared when I squatted deep. However, whenever I squat ATG with a very narrow stance without any weights I don't feel pain, so I attempted to squat again today using the same very narrow stance I'd use to squat without a bar but the pain began to appear again as I started adding weight to the bar so I stopped squatting. Should I attempt to squat again in a few days using the same stance?

Quote Originally Posted by Skwats123 View Post
    Hi, I started squatting again last week after 2 months off with 135 lbs on the bar (high bar position) with the same stance I've always taken (feet slightly wider than hips, toes pointed slightly out), my knees did begin to buckle in towards the last few reps of the third set in subsequent workouts and I ended up with a pain deep in my hip joints whenever I squatted below parallel. Last Monday, I attempted to address the knees buckling in my pushing them out and it did seem to slightly alleviate the pain but there was still pain so I stopped squatting that session after the first set. I've noticed the pain disappeared whenever I rested between sets and only appeared when I squatted deep. However, whenever I squat ATG with a very narrow stance without any weights I don't feel pain, so I attempted to squat again today using the same very narrow stance I'd use to squat without a bar but the pain began to appear again as I started adding weight to the bar so I stopped squatting. Should I attempt to squat again in a few days using the same stance?
    So, every time you squat high bar, narrow stance, ATG you get pain and you are asking if you should do this again ?

I think I would have to know why you are doing this before offering you an answer.

Hi, in the gym I squat high bar to slightly below parallel (I previously tried switching to low bar but after having recurring elbow tendinitis and shoulder pain switched back to high bar).

I only started having this pain recently and it happens as soon as I break parallel and I can feel it looming in my warm-up sets. When I squat down ATG without a bar on my back I don't feel any pain at all so I'm confused as to what's causing this.

I think what caused it was trying a shoulder width stance when I resumed squatting.

But now, even with a 135 lbs squat, like I attempted today with a very narrow stance and toes slightly pointed out, I began to feel pain (albeit less pain than before) when I went below parallel so I skipped the squats.

I'm just wondering what I should do to remedy this pain? Thanks

I see. I wondered why you'd choose hip width, high bar instead of shoulder width low bar.

For your first question, should you repeat the exact same thing that hurt so much that you had to give up your session ? I'd say no.

How to get rid of the pain ? Probably best to see a coach who knows a lot about the squat and understands the problems that can be caused. Failing that, form check video on the technique forum with an explanation as to why you aren't doing LBBS.

I have the same issue as well when it goes to squatting parallel. There is an imbalance somewhere that is causing it, could be something similar to this: Squats and Hip Dysfunction: 2 Common Problems and How to Fix Them | Breaking Muscle

I wouldn't be squatting in the stance that causes pain and get that issue sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerm48 View Post
    I have the same issue as well when it goes to squatting parallel. There is an imbalance somewhere that is causing it, could be something similar to this: Squats and Hip Dysfunction: 2 Common Problems and How to Fix Them | Breaking Muscle

I wouldn't be squatting in the stance that causes pain and get that issue sold.
    Hi, I think I discovered what the problem is. The issue was caused when I began buckling my knees in during working sets using my normal stance. The issue wasn't so much with stance as I tried different stances including narrow, wide, different foot angles etc. Rip discusses this in the Starting Strength book on page 45. That not shoving the knees out, creates a funny kind of tendinitis at the hip flexors, that's what is causing the pain even after correcting form as I didn't rest enough for the tendinitis to heal. I don't feel any pain in my right hip flexor now but still feel it in my left hip flexor when I attempt squatting light. So I'm going to not squat for a few sessions until I can return to normal squatting. Knees should be shoved out as soon as you begin to descend and remain shoved out until you complete the rep.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Skwats123 View Post
    Hi, I think I discovered what the problem is. The issue was caused when I began buckling my knees in during working sets using my normal stance. The issue wasn't so much with stance as I tried different stances including narrow, wide, different foot angles etc. Rip discusses this in the Starting Strength book on page 45. That not shoving the knees out, creates a funny kind of tendinitis at the hip flexors, that's what is causing the pain even after correcting form as I didn't rest enough for the tendinitis to heal. I don't feel any pain in my right hip flexor now but still feel it in my left hip flexor when I attempt squatting light. So I'm going to not squat for a few sessions until I can return to normal squatting. Knees should be shoved out as soon as you begin to descend and remain shoved out until you complete the rep.
    There's a lot of good stuff in that book. Some of it doesn't mean much until it becomes very relevant. I think you are doing the right thing by leaving out the squat until the pain subsides.