starting strength gym

Thread: Lactose in milk based protein supplements?

Default Lactose in milk based protein supplements?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I've found that protein supplements tend to disrupt my digestive system. I'm not generally lactose intollerant but found that taking Lactaid before the supplement decreased or eliminated the upset. Has anyone else noticed this effect? I'm trying to get enough protein in my diet, and find a protein supplement a good boost. Anyone see drawbacks to my solution?

Thanks in advance.

I don't see any drawbacks. I haven't looked, but I am not aware of any adverse effects to ingesting lactase to help with the breakdown of lactose. Do you notice problems with whey protein isolate?

I'm moderately lactose intolerant, and it's more economical for me to buy premium whey isolate (29 grams of protein per 30 gram scoop) than to buy regular isolate (27 grams of protein) + lactase pills. The lactose in the whey isn't enough to seriously upset my stomach, but the gas I produce is pretty gnarly.

Like Tom suggests, try an isolate and see if that helps. But yea, I also don't see any drawbacks to lactase supplements, other than the potential economic one.