starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, I am week 2 into the novice program. Today was actually day 4. I figured the earlier I could get a squat form check, the quicker I can fix any mistakes
    March 22, 2016 - YouTube

Welcome, Gmatt, whose name sounds like GMAT. Your grip is too narrow and you are on your toes for all of your reps. Watch the bar position video. You will need a wider grip. Also, don't let your knees go so far forward. You will need to lean over a little more and point your chest at the ground. Get yourself some proper weightlifting shoes. They will be of great assistance to you. Please consult the sticky for some tips on filming video. You have the right angle, but setting the camera on the ground makes things difficult.

Thank you for the reply!! I appreciate the feedback, as for weightlifting shoes, I ordered them and they should be here soon. I will re-read the Squat chapter tonight. I will try to post a better video next time. Thanks again coach I will try to post another/better video and I also apologize for multiple posts, I didn't read the stickies. Thank you again!

Also any tips on how to get off the toes?

Quote Originally Posted by Gmatt View Post
    Also any tips on how to get off the toes?
    Reach back with your butt more and think "heels."

Another Squat Form Check.
    Ss - YouTube

I don't know if this is any better. I did widen my grip more and re read the squat chapter. During the set, I was thinking "heels". I hope my form is not too bad. Thanks again!

Knees are still going forward too much and you need to get deeper. Lean over, reach back with your hips and go deeper. Also, knees out a little more more.

Thanks! I will try it next workout and post a video. I'm hoping to get this form down before the weights get heavy

Coach,
    Here's another squat form check.
    Ss wk 3 - YouTube

I am trying to not go so forward with my knees, and trying to fix this. The form in high school football was drilled in my head, and it's coming back to haunt me. My lifting shoes should be here tomorrow, I'm hoping they help a little

Is form terrible that I shouldn't keep going up on weight?
    Thanks for the feedback. I just want to get this squat form down.

starting strength coach development program
    Watch your feet. Do you see the weight shift to the outside of your foot, then the inside, then your toes? That is not what you want. Some of that will be rectified with shoes, but you need to do a better job of controlling where the weight is on your foot. Think of keeping the weight in the middle of your foot, both from front to back and side to side. I also think you need to go deeper. Do the same weight with your shoes and send a video of it.

Have you watched the bar position videos yet? Your grip needs some help.

The Squat - Bar Position with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

Squat Grip Correction | On the Platform - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast