starting strength gym

Thread: Marks on Shoulders from Squats

Default Marks on Shoulders from Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    On both shoulders, where the bar rests, I have brownish marks (silver dollar size). They aren't red and don't come and go...they seem to be permanent as long as I am squatting.

Its not a huge deal, but it looks sort of weird. It might be possible the placement is incorrect, but I have had 2 SS coaches evaluate me without saying anything about bar placement. It feels fine, just not very aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by composite View Post
    On both shoulders, where the bar rests, I have brownish marks (silver dollar size). They aren't red and don't come and go...they seem to be permanent as long as I am squatting.

Its not a huge deal, but it looks sort of weird. It might be possible the placement is incorrect, but I have had 2 SS coaches evaluate me without saying anything about bar placement. It feels fine, just not very aesthetic.
    I have similar marks on my back from LBBS. I get them on my shoulders from front squats, when I do them. I have marks on my shins from DLs. I think it just comes with lifting. The aesthetics (for me) don't really matter as long as they don't cause any functional problems.

For years I have had a permanent dark line across my back where the bar sits. Darker near the middle.

This thread may be of interest to you: Dark skin on wrists from wrist wraps?

I've got a darker line of slightly scaly skin pretty much the whole width across my back. Obviously not a bruise. It's irritation/abrasion from a heavily chalked t-shirt scraping my back under pressure from the bar during squats. I.e. - a chafing scar. Wear your chafing scars with pride - or moisturise and such.

Add another one to list. Got a zit on the right shoulder where the bar sits, took forever to heal, and now a permanent bar scar/dark spot. There's a smaller but similar thing on the left shoulder.

It's the tattoo of the Rusty Iron Gang.

I get the spots too. They don't bother me. They do tend to fade a bit in the winter when I have multiple layers between my skin and the bar.

I only squat in a short sleeved cotton t-shirt. I have had no issues with this. Are these marks common about lifters who squat with the guns out?

I usually wear a synthetic t-shirt with a cotton sweat shirt over it and I don't have any marks. The bars at my gym also have next to no knurling so that may be a factor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blugold View Post
    I only squat in a short sleeved cotton t-shirt. I have had no issues with this. Are these marks common about lifters who squat with the guns out?
    I also only squat in a short sleeved cotton t-shirt. I still have the line. Rip suggested ethnicity being a factor in the thread I linked to.

I did front squats for a few weeks and even in that short time got some dark marks across the front of my delts.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post
    I usually wear a synthetic t-shirt with a cotton sweat shirt over it and I don't have any marks. The bars at my gym also have next to no knurling so that may be a factor as well.
    I don't know why, but I cannot squat in a squat shirt. Just never felt comfortable doing it.