starting strength gym

Thread: gaining strength but no muscle mass

Default gaining strength but no muscle mass

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hi i am a newb to this forum and i just had one simple question
    i am gaining alot of strength but no muscle mass and i read that its because of neuromuscular adaptations which i dont know too much about and on google they get too scientific, so i just want to know if someone can give me a more simple and clearer answer to what this adaptation means? also does it depend on the rep range as well?

Read the books before you post, like I told you in the e-mail.

Adaptation is a movie written by Charlie Kauffman and it has Nicholas Cage, Merryl Streep, and Chris Cooper. And yes, the script is a bit weird so I can understand how the OP would need someone to explain it to them.

There is a decent Wikipedia page about the movie. It's not one of my favourite movies but I enjoyed the twisted logic in it. I don't think the book explains it very well because the movie is really about how hard it is to make a movie about a book that hasn't got a plot.

Maybe they should make a similar movie about SS and PP. THEN coach Rip would have weird questions to answer. Ever thought about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiedemies View Post
    Maybe they should make a similar movie about SS and PP. THEN coach Rip would have weird questions to answer. Ever thought about that?
    He doesn't already get weird questions?!

They are stupid, yes, and weirdly so.

I'm thinking weird but intelligent questions.

Oh fuck. Eat. Lift. Add weight. And read this after you read the books:

http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf

all i ask was a simple question first time doing this give me a break

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Brandon. First off, I guess I would tell you not to worry about muscular adaptation or any other "science" at this point.

Secondly, you say you've gained strength - what is your bodyweight and what are your lifts? This matters because if you're, say, 200 pounds and your max bench is 205 and you can pull 315, well, those weights just don't require that much muscle mass.

Now if you're 200 pounds bw and you're pulling 500 plus and benching 325, that's where it would be interesting. So let's start there. What do you weigh and how much do you lift?