starting strength gym

Thread: Dynamic Fitness and Strength Gladiator 2x3 Power Rack

Default Dynamic Fitness and Strength Gladiator 2x3 Power Rack

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I sold off my old Tuff Stuff rack and am shopping for an R3-style rack. Most of the R3-style racks are priced similarly, but adding $150-$300 for shipping quickly drives them up into the $800-900 range. I don't really want to wait another 8 months for Rogue's free shipping deal, either.

I discovered that this rack is made not too far from where I live:

http://mydynamicfitness.com/product/...ower-rack-2x3/

Anyone have one, or any of the Dynamic products?

I like the option of the lower stabilizer (the rack is also pre-drilled to be bolted down). They also offer a number of colors for no up-charge, and have a number of add-on attachments made in-house. I forgot to ask what the working space between the uprights is, but I'll guess it's about the same as the R3. The main difference I see, besides the feet, is that there's a gap in the hole spacing towards the bottom.

The sticker price is competitive with the R3 at $680ish (or $910 with plate storage).

The fact that it's local means I can pick it myself and not pay shipping, which really helps keep it within my budget.

The only other rack I'm seriously considering is the Titan HD for $400 shipped. Obviously the fit and finish levels are different, and that's reflected by the $300 price difference, but it's also probably good enough for my basement.

Not surprised at the lack of response, as I hadn't heard of these guys until recently and they're right in my area. I decided to go see the quality for myself at their showroom. I ended up getting a tour of the much larger facility that they're in the process of moving to. They make their own racks, bars, accessories, and looks like they also have a line of machines/cable systems for commercial gyms. I think they're going to be a pretty big operation once their new plant is running.

Have to say, they're making some pretty nice stuff. I have not used Rogue equipment, but I can't see how their fit and finish could be nicer than Dynamic's.

The Gladiator rack that I am looking at is geared towards the garage gym rat, but frankly it looked and felt nicer and sturdier than a lot of the commercial racks I've seen at various gyms. They also offer them in "rig" style with foot plates that are meant to be bolted down and/or to a rig system.

This is the Gladiator with the plate storage option (they also offer an 80" version of this for people with low ceilings):

This is the regular 2-post Gladiator:

I'm on the fence about the plate storage option. The standard 2-post rack would fit into my current space better as it would leave me more room to press outside the rack (pesky ducting in the basement ceiling), but as of right now they don't offer a storage post add-on for the 2-post rack, so I can't buy the 2-post and then add storage later if I have more space. Maybe that's something they'll develop in the future.

If I can ever make a decision I'm going to place my order, and then do a review once I have some time in on the rack.

From what I've heard, Titan has improved the HD since they first released it. Not sure it's reflected so much in the finish, but the hooks and the parts in general. If it was me I'd get the Titan hands down, but then again I don't have $700 dollars to spend on a rack even if I wanted to.

Honestly, the whole reason I sold my Tuff Stuff rack was because it was too short to press in, bar hooks for the outside of the rack don't seem to exist (posts had holes only on the inside of the rack), the cost to have someone fab up hooks or add holes that would fit existing hooks was cost-prohibitive, and I didn't want to mangle an otherwise really nice rack by boring new holes in it. I thought about getting some cheap squat stands, but it seemed easier to just sell the rack and buy one that does what I want.

Or so I thought.

The Titan really looks like a great budget rack and offers a lot of nice features. Most of the quality complaints seem more like quibbles from people who thought they could get Rogue fit and finish for half the price.

I was actually about to pull the trigger on the Titan when I decided to contact Dynamic for pricing, and found that it was about the same as the Rogue minus the shipping costs. I think it's worth the extra coin in this case, for the reasons mgilchrest listed.

The storage option is about $240 more after taxes. I've measured and I can fit it with room to press in front if I flip my platform around, which isn't a big deal, but I just don't know how bad I need plate storage. The base used on the 2-post rack is actually the same as the 3-post according to Dynamic, so I'm not saving any floor space by getting the 2-post, just saving $240 and some overhead space.

The bases in those pictures look no where near the same size...?

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    The bases in those pictures look no where near the same size...?
    I'll have to admit, I'm a little confused myself, as I thought the non-storage one was a good 8-12" shorter. Guess it's time to talk some more.

Edit: the racks do have the same base, the picture of the smaller rack is outdated.
    Last edited by murphyreedus; 04-02-2015 at 07:16 PM. Reason: info

To further elaborate on my edit, the fact that the same base is used means that the plate storage can be added later down the road, which is good to hear.

I have to say, the sales guy has been extremely patient with my myriad of questions, and prompt in his responses.

Did you buy the Dynamic rack? How do you like it, if you did?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric220 View Post
    Did you buy the Dynamic rack? How do you like it, if you did?
    I did not, though I did eventually find a Dynamic Edge half rack on the used market.

I priced out the Gladiator again a few months ago and found that the price has increased about $400 from what I was quoted last year. Still cheaper than the Rogue R6.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks. Their Gladiator double half rack looks really good.