starting strength gym

Thread: 5kg bumper plate; super flimsy?

Default 5kg bumper plate; super flimsy?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I bought some ~5kg bumper plates, and they're very flimsy. They often bend and kind of refuse to hold the bar up correctly if there's a little bit of wobble. I can never put a small pair of 2.5kg weights on them without it bending as well.

Are they just cheap and crappy? I'm thinking of buying some more bumper plates and was wondering if I should try another brands 5kg plates.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    What are you doing that could require 30KG on the ground?
    Power Clean/Power Snatch warmup sets. My PC is not impressive (and neither is my PS). I've stalled at 70KG three times with PCs. Once due to injury, and once because it was just too heavy. This week will be the first time I've progressed past 70kg and hopefully I won't get stuck on my next volume day. I'm just not a very powerful guy I guess =/.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    The econo-style bumpers in 5kg/10lbs are usually like this. The better quality ones may be better, but of all the bumpers I've interacted with (all cheap), they all taco under little to no weight.
    Well, that sucks. I'll skip them I guess and just get some 10s and 15s. 10s shouldn't taco right? They look about twice as thick.

I have 10kg bumpers and they work great. If your power clean is at 70 kilos, then your deadlift should be about 140. Which means to me that doing a 10kg Pc with the small metal plates shouldn't affect you much at all.

10kg bumpers should be fine. I have some 15lb (~7kg) and they don't taco. They can be wobbly though, just due to the thin diameter.

And 10kg bumpers it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Metzger View Post
    I have 10kg bumpers and they work great. If your power clean is at 70 kilos, then your deadlift should be about 140. Which means to me that doing a 10kg Pc with the small metal plates shouldn't affect you much at all.
    Actually, my DL is at 173kg right now =/. It sucks, because I've always suspected I lacked the ability to explode. I got into SS because I was wrestling with a guy who's never wrestled before (but has some basic grappling experience from Chinese Sanda). I wasn't able to overpower him easily; he was lighter but did bro workouts where as I did hindu squats and pushups (screw you for that habit, coach). I thought it was just because he was "a lot" stronger than me. Now I realize, thanks to PCs, that I just can't really explode. Looking back, it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    The econo-style bumpers in 5kg/10lbs are usually like this. The better quality ones may be better, but of all the bumpers I've interacted with (all cheap), they all taco under little to no weight.

I have a pair of 10lb rogue HG bumpers and they're A LOT better than the Hi-Temps.

I've got 10# OFW plates and they're fine. I don't drop the bar with them.

I don't know what you have available in China but I made some plates out of plywood using a router and hole saw. I used them for years. Mine weighed about 4#'s each but I could probably add 20# per side. You just can't drop these more than once. Let me know if you need instructions.

I use 10lb. Bumper when I dl, my gym has the hexagon plates and I hate DLing with them. I sandwich the bumpers between 2 plates. I've been using them for 4 years.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, I thought about that too, but I'd rather not buy tools here. More importantly I know they'd be broken by other people at the gym, since I leave the bumpers I've bought there.

Are HG bumpers the ones with a metal looking core? Ive seen those for sale and would consider picking up the 5s and getting cheap 10s/15s somewhere else