starting strength gym

Thread: Advice from the community

Default Advice from the community

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello!

I am new to this Forum, and this is my first post.

I have a question for the expert coaches and lifters. A relative of mine had one of her knees replaced. She is a little overweight, and expressed interest in barbell training, which is something that she never did. She would like me to help her with that, mainly because we could lift together, and I can give her some directions on how to perform the movements correctly.

Do you have any good advice for me on how to get her under the barbell and get her started correctly on the squat? I am mainly concerned with her range of motion, and with the fact that she had her surgery only a month ago or so. Is there anything specific that I should be concerned with, other than that?

I started doing the program a couple months ago, and I love it. I am planning in a (hopefully) not distant future to get a Starting Strength coach certification.

Thank you anybody for any advice I can get on this.

Claudio

Do you have a coach near you?

She is doing PT, and I don't have a coach in my area. PT is helping her a lot in progressing her ROM, she is quite happy with her knee now.

I had a knee replacement in apr. the PT folks said weighted sqts were verboten. Finished with PT and am now doing weighted sqts. Light. Can't quite make parallel as the prosthetic only goes to 127 deg. About an inch or two shy. Deadlifts are fine.

Nice. Thank you. Did you start with leg press and then upgraded to squats or did you jump to squats right away?

Right into squats . 1 X 20 bw then bar then back to 3 X 5 with 65. Also, did a modified hack squat in therapy. Go figure.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you!