Deadlifts, shoes, and foot health Deadlifts, shoes, and foot health

starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Deadlifts, shoes, and foot health

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3

    Default Deadlifts, shoes, and foot health

    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    • starting strength seminar february 2021
    Coach, have searched the site about olympic shoes and deadlifts, have found nothing regarding foot health, only performance.

    Yet viewing a video on Art of Manliness you specifically say a key value of lifting shoes is the support they give and that the human foot is (paraphrasing) "not designed to lift heavy poundages with a rotating sleeve barbell"

    Can you comment more on this subject of long-term foot health, and your opinions on deadlifting in particular, where the common view is to lift as close to barefooted as possible?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Finland, Espoo, Tapiola
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by defcon1 View Post
    ...where the common view is to lift as close to barefooted as possible...

    Thanks.
    wtf

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth
    Posts
    4,827

    Default

    Lifting shoes are supportive and eventually if you do a lot of very heavy lifting without the support you may possibly develop some discomfort or injuries.
    Many competitive conventional dl's pull in deadlift slippers. The purpose being to minamalize lift and get into the best starting position and reducing the range of motion.
    While an acceptable risk for a competitor in a meet trying to eek out just a little more, a lifting shoe is much more conducive to regular training and in many cases people will begin to prefer to pull in lifting shoes once they become accustomed to it.
    If eliminating rise and heel height is the major concern, a supportive low rise shoe can be bought or modified to provide support for the conventional deadlift.

    Of course this is a first post...I realize after typing all of this..."read the book"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Garage of GainzZz
    Posts
    2,409

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Thanks for these articles. Helpful!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The Strength Lab
    Posts
    7,832

    Default

    The number of big deadlifts pulled in weightlifting shoes can probably be counted on one hand.
    Flat soled shoes or deadlift slippers are the way to go.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    The number of big deadlifts pulled in weightlifting shoes can probably be counted on one hand.
    Flat soled shoes or deadlift slippers are the way to go.
    Deadlifting in weightlifting shoes is like bicep curling with a belt.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Garage of GainzZz
    Posts
    2,409

    Default Deadlifts, shoes, and foot health

    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    The number of big deadlifts pulled in weightlifting shoes can probably be counted on one hand.
    Flat soled shoes or deadlift slippers are the way to go.
    The logic book old man. Buy it.

    Here, I'll do it for you:

    So what? "Because X does it such way, means it is correct for all people."

    See the fallacy?

    Probably not.
    Last edited by Satch12879; 08-04-2016 at 08:30 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Garage of GainzZz
    Posts
    2,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Deadlifting in weightlifting shoes is like bicep curling with a belt.
    Should I respond, or will it aggravate your internet anxiety?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The Strength Lab
    Posts
    7,832

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    The logic book old man. Buy it.

    Here, I'll do it for you:

    So what? "Because X does it such way, means it is correct for all people."

    See the fallacy?

    Probably not.
    Your stupidity never ends. Your argument is that deadlifting in weightlifting shoes is correct for all people.
    Very few lifters wear a heeled shoe for deadlifting, there's a good reason for that.

    By the way, how much is your best deadlift big talker?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •