starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What results do people get from Texas Method?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Texas method is actually how I found out about SS. So I have actually started with it, a slightly modified version (with PC on Mondays and DL on Fridays). Then found out about LP, moved to it, but at some point it just got too heavy. I reset a bit and moved back to TM. What I like about TM is that it is psychologically easy. Monday is easy because you know the weights are not you limits, Wednesday is easy by design, and Friday is easy because it's just one heavy set. However, once I got back to my LP weights on VD and may be a bit past that, I got stuck. Now I'm back to LP again, not really progressing too fast, but for whatever reason it is now easier than it was first time. I will try to stick to it for several months, and then either try some option of TM, or will change to different type of training, may be weightlifting.
    In short, I didn't really get anything out of TM in terms of strength improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Banned_Pavel View Post
    What I like about TM is that it is psychologically easy.
    No. You quit TM before it became difficult.

This week I got 355x5x5 for volume day, then 390x5 for intensity day, which would yield a new 5RM. I don't know which is going to be worst, volume day or Intensity day, both workouts are very difficult right now. I would call that psychology challenging at best, if not stressful. I asked Rip about this type of programming one time on his board and his reply was " it's supposed to be hard, that's why it works." Often I find myself pretty fatigued throughout the week from TM, but to me it's totally worth it for the gains.
    Last edited by Bradley Gish; 08-28-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BGish1984 View Post
    This week I got 355x5x5 for volume day, then 390x5 for intensity day, which would yield a new 5RM. I don't know which is going to be worst, volume day or Intensity day, both workouts are very difficult right now. I would call that psychology challenging at best, if not stressful. I asked Rip about this type of programming one time on his board and his reply was " it's supposed to be hard, that's why it works." Often I find myself pretty fatigued throughout the week from TM, but to me it's totally worth it for the gains.
    Your VD is more than 90% of your ID. The usual recommendation is to lower the VD % rather than increase lol. Maybe that's worth trying if you start failing lifts

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Your VD is more than 90% of your ID. The usual recommendation is to lower the VD % rather than increase lol. Maybe that's worth trying if you start failing lifts
    You raise a good point Kregna. Im on week 7 of my new TM currently. I just completed my first cycle prior to this, establishing a new 1 Rm of 445. So I kinda planned this second run of TM out, attempting anyhow. My plan was to set a new 5RM, which would be this week, then begin phase two of triples for 3-4 weeks, the continue running it down and add at least 20lbs to my 1RM. I planned to reset volume by 10% once I entered phase two, which will be next week, IF im successfully this week. I'm determined to get this 390 X 5!!! Maybe I should go ahead and reset volume this week, let some fatigue dissipate? Decisions, Decisions. I began this program at 90% of ID, but I guess the % crept up on me over the weeks, I just kept adding 5lbs every week to both days, thanks for pointing that out 👍🏻
    Last edited by Bradley Gish; 08-28-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    No. You quit TM before it became difficult.
    May be. I quit it because I got stuck. The weights on intensity days even went down (not really the weights, but the reps). VD were progressing very slowly but then I got stuck there as well. May be it's not yet called difficult. But I couldn't get any further.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    4-day TM has no light squat days. Light pressing after volume benching, or light benching after volume pressing, etc. Elimination of the light squat day didn't really impact me when going from 3-day to 4-day, but PPST3 says this varies by individual.
    I ran tm several times. Mostly skipped lp the first time i did tm and did a 12 week meet prep from say 330 squat 1rm
    To 420 in comp and 330 bench. Always 4 day split. My issues with tm were never transmuting it well. I either get injured or burn out volume too her or get the flu. Always needed up with rep
    Days over my max and then crash and burn before taking a single.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234