starting strength gym

Thread: Snatch Improvement

Default Snatch Improvement

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey SS coaches,

I'm wanting to improve my snatch, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to make adjustments. I tend to power snatch when the weight gets heavy, but I'm not sure confidence in the bottom of the overhead squat is the issue. Here is my snatch work yesterday starting with 45 kg up to 80 kg in 5 kg increments and missing 85 kg twice.

Snatch Technique Work - YouTube

I appreciate any help.

Stats and PRs:
    BW: 222 lbs
    Squat: 200 kg
    Front Squat: 160 kg
    Clean & Jerk: 120 kg
    Snatch: 87 kg
    Deadlift: 185 kg x 5
    Press: 74 kg

Your butt is too low at the start and you have a hint of an arm bend, but I have seen much worse. You are leaving the bar out front at heavier weights, which may be an artifact of you starting the bar in front of the mid foot. Tough to say from this angle. Try setting up the way we recommend in the sticky. Your butt will be higher. Work to keep the bar over the midfoot and aggressively turn the bar over at the top. Why do you squat so much more than you deadlift?

On the topic of the snatch, How fast should one try to linearly progress the lift? I am under the impression that it should be similar to ohp. Is this correct?

Yeah, that is correct. Small jumps in weight after the initial period of getting the feel for the lift.

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post another video later this week working to incorporate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Your butt is too low at the start
    It used to be even lower. I raised it a while ago and liked the higher position; I'll go higher.

you have a hint of an arm bend
    Right before the end of the second pull... Haven't noticed that before.

Try setting up the way we recommend in the sticky.
    Is this referring to the general deadlift setup or the camera angle?

Why do you squat so much more than you deadlift?
    Undertrained the deadlift while focusing on olympic lifts. I got sick of that discrepency so I'm deadlifting once a week now, and it is now above my squat. I squatted 185 x 3 followed by pulling 200 x 3 two days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Harshy View Post
    Is this referring to the general deadlift setup or the camera angle?
    Deadlift setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Harshy View Post
    I got sick of that discrepency so I'm deadlifting once a week now, and it is now above my squat. I squatted 185 x 3 followed by pulling 200 x 3 two days ago.
    Ah. Good.

Hey Tom,

I worked on setup (mostly) and elbows in the second pull. The new pull from the floor took time to get used to, so getting under the bar wasn't really happening. I liked pulling higher because it felt like I was accelerating the bar better. I lifted on a 60 second clock in the following video:

Snatch 20160921 - YouTube

Lift 4 is the best in terms of arm bend.
    Lift 6 is best bar path.

Looking forward to your critique.

starting strength coach development program
    Squeeze your chest up and arch your back. You are not really getting set at the bottom. This will become more important as it gets heavier. Keep your arms straight for longer. You are catching the bar a little out front which causes you to step forward. Work to turn the wrist over at the top and stick your landings. Make sure you are in balance.