starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbell Choice

Default Barbell Choice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I wonder if anyone has used this bar.

Since I can't do Oly lifts at my gym I am getting a list together with some minimal gear to do them at home. This bar looks like a reasonable deal. Keep in mind I don't do real heavy weights at this point. If I am happy working at home I may do my LP stuff there as well eventually...don't want to purchase two bars.

XTC Fitness | York 7FT International Men's Needle-bearing Olympic Training Bar (45Lb - 28mm) | 32110 | York Barbell

Thanks
    Blueliner

Why not the Rogue B&R bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueliner View Post
    I wonder if anyone has used this bar.

Since I can't do Oly lifts at my gym I am getting a list together with some minimal gear to do them at home. This bar looks like a reasonable deal. Keep in mind I don't do real heavy weights at this point. If I am happy working at home I may do my LP stuff there as well eventually...don't want to purchase two bars.

XTC Fitness | York 7FT International Men's Needle-bearing Olympic Training Bar (45Lb - 28mm) | 32110 | York Barbell

Thanks
    Blueliner
    I wouldn't select this for my gym, there are better choices. York makes some great bars, but this isn't a good value.

(edit: The 28.5mm bars from Rogue are the best jack-of-all-trades bars. Ohio Bar, Rogue Bar 2.0, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I wouldn't select this for my gym, there are better choices. York makes some great bars, but this isn't a good value.

(edit: The 28.5mm bars from Rogue are the best jack-of-all-trades bars. Ohio Bar, Rogue Bar 2.0, etc.)
    Thoughts on the Troy training bars? The gym I train at has them. They seem to be a good bar.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Thoughts on the Troy training bars? The gym I train at has them. They seem to be a good bar.
    Which one? The GOB-1800? If so, I haven't used that one, but it looks like the gymway bars, which means it's at least decent. Some of Troy's bars are good, some are utter junk, so model matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Which one? The GOB-1800? If so, I haven't used that one, but it looks like the gymway bars, which means it's at least decent. Some of Troy's bars are good, some are utter junk, so model matters.
    Yup. GOB-1800.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Why not the Rogue B&R bar?
    I did look at that one, it is bushing, the York appears to be needle bearings. For Oly lifts rolling bearings should be better? Also if might ever matter the Rogue bar is stiffer, no whip. However the Rogue has a high Tensile strength. The other issue is that by the time the rogue bar gets to me due to the currency difference/shipping it will cost nearly twice as much. The York can be picked up at the store not far from here. Believe me if cost wasn't and issue it would be a nice Rogue bar. If the York is a POS then I guess I would just save.

I did look at that one, it is bushing, the York appears to be needle bearings. For Oly lifts rolling bearings should be better? Also if might ever matter the Rogue bar is stiffer, no whip. However the Rogue has a high Tensile strength. The other issue is that by the time the rogue bar gets to me due to the currency difference/shipping it will cost nearly twice as much. The York can be picked up at the store not far from here. Believe me if cost wasn't and issue it would be a nice Rogue bar. If the York is a POS then I guess I would just save.
    Tensile strength doesn't matter (once over a certain level). Bearings are not a great choice for the powerlifts, while bushings work well for the Olympic lifts for all but the elite. 28.5mm is the best compromise diameter, as 28mm is more whippy than you want for squats while 29mm is a bit fatter than ideal for pulls.

The York you linked isn't junk, but it isn't a great choice either.

If it's just for Olympic lifts, I came across this one the other day which people seem to like:
    Olympic Weightlifting Stealth Bars Get RXd

There seem to be a lot of bars now in the cheapish category that have bearings of some sort. But you'd probably want to read lots of reviews before getting any.

starting strength coach development program
    Where is "here"? Canada (eh)?

Mahendra (forum member in GTA) has a York 32004, which I think he said is like a B&R with chrome plating. Not sure how thick the chrome plating is or how much the knurl is affected.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast