starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to gain weight, or do I need to man up?

reygunz Guest

Default Do I need to gain weight, or do I need to man up?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I've been screwing around like a lot of beginners and decided to take a step back, actually read the books and understand why I'm stalling. I have been doing the base program (no chinups or power cleans) for a while, and have stalled at a 210 squat and 260 deadlift. Now that I'm reading and will soon pick it back up, I can't help but ask why I'm stalling so early.

I am 24 male. About 5' 4" at 150 lbs (no more than 15% bodyfat, maybe lower). I should be in the 300s for deadlift and approaching the 300s for the squat. Should I aim to gain weight or am I missing something on the performance side?

Quote Originally Posted by reygunz View Post
    So I've been screwing around like a lot of beginners and decided to take a step back, actually read the books and understand why I'm stalling. I have been doing the base program (no chinups or power cleans) for a while, and have stalled at a 210 squat and 260 deadlift. Now that I'm reading and will soon pick it back up, I can't help but ask why I'm stalling so early.

I am 24 male. About 5' 4" at 150 lbs (no more than 15% bodyfat, maybe lower). I should be in the 300s for deadlift and approaching the 300s for the squat. Should I aim to gain weight or am I missing something on the performance side?
    Yes, you're most definitely too light. You know the cure for that. We can't see your squats and deadlifts from here, and it's certainly possible that technique is an issue. Post form check videos. Read the stickies in the Staff Coaches' Q&A prior to filming.

We also don't know what else you're doing (besides underfeeding) with your life that may be compromising your success, so tell us. Are your sleep habits any good at all? Do you run 50 miles a week or load trucks for a living? Or both? Are you vegan? Do you wear skinny jeans?

Let's check that stuff out before we blame poor genetics or descend down the 'you may need to get your T-levels checked' rabbit hole. Mmmkay?

Post your last 15 squat workouts. Date, weight, sets, reps

Gain the weight to push the weight, and a bit of manning up too. But just keep eating and lifting.

reygunz Guest

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for getting back so late. As far as lifestyle, I am in the air force. Currently, I have to go to the dining facility for most of my food. I don't know the calories or macros of the food I'm eating so that's an obstacle. Of course, I have to manage the amount of weight I gain for my annual fitness assessment. For work, I'm not sitting at a desk but my job isn't too labor intensive. Currently, I am not running, but I think my unit will be having mandatory 3 times a week conditioning in the soon future.

Post your last 15 squat workouts - date, weight, sets, reps

This.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    And rest period between sets.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Also, post your protein consumption to the gram for five straight days (presumably while you're still trying to train). Don't guess...use nutrition calculators and actually do the math. This may require you to carry around a notepad and write stuff down through the day. Bonus points if you can give the approximate time and amount consumed through each day.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    And rest period between sets.
    And mother's maiden name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast