squat and deadlift replacement squat and deadlift replacement

starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: squat and deadlift replacement

Default squat and deadlift replacement

• phoenix arizona seminar date
    • texas seminar date
    Short version: I injured my lower back and am asking for exercises that have as much carryover to squats and deadlifts as possible while not putting any tension on the lower back. Atm Im doing machine rows, leg press and leg curls.

So the other day I was squatting and for some reason on the way down the bar touched the safety pins, wich were set up just as usual. This has never happened before because the pins are really low. The bar shook and I failed the rep because of losing balance. After that my lower back hurted really bad but I thought it was just an excuse in my head to stop squatting. I kept doing it for 5 weeks while having incredible pain not just when squatting but also when bending in general. Somehow I was able to get my deadlift up by 7,5 kg during that time but squats were just so painful that I didnt increase the weight. When the pain was still there after 5 weeks, I decided to stop hurting my body and replaced pc, squats, deadlifts by hammer strength rows, leg press and leg curls. After 4 weeks of not putting any stress on my back, it continues to hurt. I want to keep as much of my squat and deadlift strength as possible. I think I could be able to do these exercises in a month again but until then I need some replacement. Any suggestions? I cant do any exercise that uses the lower back muscle

There is no replacement for Deadlifts.

Maybe the hack squat machine and belt squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    There is no replacement for Deadlifts.
    So do you think doing rows and hamstring isolation would be just as good as doing nothing?

Whatever you do do not see a Doctor. It's only been five weeks. FONT COLOUR = SARCASM.

Quote Originally Posted by SJB View Post
    Whatever you do do not see a Doctor. It's only been five weeks. FONT COLOUR = SARCASM.
    Yeah, that too.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Maybe the hack squat machine and belt squats.
    There isnt such a machine in my gym and I my back already hurts if squat 1 plate so I dont think a belt will remove pain from 250lb.

Quote Originally Posted by SJB View Post
    Doctor would simply say: "dude, just quit lifting "

There is no replacing BB squat or DL.

you can however get some lower work in such as:
    1. hip belt squats
    2. Leg PRess
    3. Sissy Squats
    4. Banded Good mornings
    5. BB Good Mornings
    6. Banded or weighted hypers ext.
    7. Leg Ext
    8. DB walking lunges
    9. DB Bulgarian Split Squats

None of these will increase your strength in either LBBS or DL, but they will keep you busy

Unless you have a medical degree hanging on a wall somewhere with your name on it, go see an orthopedic. You can at least get some imaging to make sure there is no disc involvement or other serious shit.

You can then determine the course of action.
    Last edited by lou t; 10-01-2016 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zar9star View Post
    There isnt such a machine in my gym and I my back already hurts if squat 1 plate so I dont think a belt will remove pain from 250lb.
    Hip belt squats are where the weight hangs from a belt around your waist. Minimal spinal loading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast