starting strength gym

Thread: The State of Strength and Conditioning Coaching

Default The State of Strength and Conditioning Coaching

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

This essay is about the state of the Strength and Conditioning profession in 2014, most of which is practiced in high schools, colleges and universities, and at the professional sports level. Those of you reading this in the distant future, while you drive your flying cars (please be careful), may observe with amusement that all these problems have long since been corrected, if I have even described them accurately here in 2014, and my concerns turned out to be about as relevant to your advanced civilization as global warming. From atop your glacier, you may look down on a landscape devoid of weak, overtrained athletes, and wonder just what in the hell I was so concerned about. I hope so.

Read article

I just found this article after seeing it on the bottom of Ray's 'How to run a gym business' article.

A few comments/questions.

COMMENTS
    1) this article was phenomenal. Thank you for writing it.
    2) I've listened to many podcasts you've been a guest on...your message is the same today as it was in 2014, 2010, etc. Consistency.
    3) it seems my newfound obsession with SS is three-fold...how strong can Pete T get me, how long will it take for my son to be stronger than me, how can a professional apply these things to a team, and why wouldn't they.

QUESTIONS
    1) since writing this, have their been any programs that: a) have incorporated SS, and/or b) you specifically think do a good job training their athletes.
    2) In the article you say that you haven't coached D1 or pro teams. Have you coached HS programs? If yes, how was that experience?
    3) are there any SS coaches specifically targeting/marketing to teams that you know of? If yes, can you share their successes?

mpalios, there's been a lot of discussion/articles/videos on SS about this over the years. Teams in schools use their school coaches and don't want or tolerate outside coaches. In the schools, there are competing interests that interfere with strength coaches using SS or any real strength program. Look up Jared Nessland, Tom DiStasio, Janacek, Shepard, Steel. Several podcasts get on the subject, including the recent one with Israetel. These are not new problems - Starr talks about it in his work and even modified/limited recommendations for lifts and programming based on the realities of the suboptimal conditions. Search

Thank you for those names. I will search them here.

I'm hopeful (although not blind to the reality that it prob won't happen), that I can somehow expose my son's HS team to SS in some form. I've discussed this briefly with Ray as well, if a SS gym was to come to South Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    mpalios, there's been a lot of discussion/articles/videos on SS about this over the years. Teams in schools use their school coaches and don't want or tolerate outside coaches. In the schools, there are competing interests that interfere with strength coaches using SS or any real strength program. Look up Jared Nessland, Tom DiStasio, Janacek, Shepard, Steel. Several podcasts get on the subject, including the recent one with Israetel. These are not new problems - Starr talks about it in his work and even modified/limited recommendations for lifts and programming based on the realities of the suboptimal conditions. Search

Sorry, can you please add to my first reply...

Is it bill Starr? And what are the first names to Shepard and Steel?

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post