starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check, per favore

marcf Guest

Default Deadlift form check, per favore

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My thoracic spine seems to be rounded over, and I'm not sure if that's bad. I also can't tell if I'm keeping my lumbar spine in rigid extension, because it kinda feels like it's rounding when the bar gets to up around my knees. And the lower part of my traps bulge out even if I flatten that part of my back, so I can't tell if I'm in too much flexion. These didn't hurt, but deadlifts used to be very painful.

Thank you.

335x5 - YouTube

You know we have Tom in Oakland, right? You could maybe book some time with him to fix the last of what are, IMO, relatively minor issues.

Also, Paul Horn and Ness Oszast in LA? All of these three are far, far better than the moron in blue who wants you to GET SERIOUS and STAY TIGHT, as if you didn't already know to do these things. No offense if he's like, your brother, or something.

In any event, the only thing I see is the upper thoracic rounding when you pull, which means you're not actively pulling against the bar when you squeeze up. Really, this couple be fixed by Tom, Paul or Ness in about an hour. Also, you pull rep #2 off your heels. Note your arm angle when the bar comes off the floor, and your toes as you finish the rep.

marcf Guest

Thanks, Steve. I've seen Tom twice, and Paul Horn once. That guy in the blue shirt literally walked up to my set and started cueing me without my asking. He's a nice guy and means well, but clearly isn't a coach.

marcf Guest

Hola, coach. Any improvement here?

340x5 - YouTube

I'm rocking back onto my heels as I lock out at the top because I might be overextending a little hard instead of just standing up straight--I didn't feel this, and only noticed it in video. You can see it exaggerated in my feet in the first and third reps (didn't have my lifting shoes today). I also tried a little harder to keep my thoracic spine extended instead of rounded over.

Not noticeable in the video, and a little odd, but I started to lose my grip during the set. I had chalk on my hands, but my grip was just getting weak, and that generally doesn't happen. On the very last rep, I had to use a hook grip.

Gracias.

These are fine except for the back over-extension at the top. This is explained with pictures in the book.

marcf Guest

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    These are fine except for the back over-extension at the top. This is explained with pictures in the book.
    I really need to work on that and develop a better kinesthetic sense, because when I get my back in a more neutral position, it *feels* like I'm in flexion.