starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe You Should GAIN Weight

Default Maybe You Should GAIN Weight

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

Not everybody that goes to the gym wants to lose weight.

This may come as a complete surprise to some of you who either need to lose a few pounds yourselves or think that everyone wants to be skinny. Many underweight men would love to be bigger, stronger, and more physically imposing, and gaining muscular bodyweight is a simple process.

Read article

I think the vast majority of skinny guys feel just as bad about being skinny as fat people do about being fat. You cant go around telling your coworkers "Oh my god you're so fat". How many times do you hear people say "Oh my god you're so skinny!"? It's socially acceptable to tell someone they look slim. Both of these extremes, fat and skinny, represent a low point on the "usefulness" curve in terms of physical ability.

It's true what you say about the hardest part being the eating. It takes more time to prepare, more money to buy and more time to eat. The time I spend for my diet is much greater than the three hours I spend in the gym per week. This is where most people fail when their goal is to get big and strong. They underestimate their dietary requirements and blame lack of progress on a lack of stress. It's even worse when the trainee is afraid to get fat. I say, accept that for the first year or so of training you will be fat. 2017 is my fat year but it's also my strength gains year. I'll worry about losing the fat next year.

This applies to women, too. I know most people here know that, but the overwhelming majority of folks out there don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Polishdude20 View Post
    I say, accept that for the first year or so of training you will be fat. 2017 is my fat year but it's also my strength gains year. I'll worry about losing the fat next year.
    I am wondering if there are really very many examples of skinny guys doing the program and getting sloppy fat.

I hear some people say they got fat on SS but when YOu dig into it you find out thatthey started out fat and then just got fatter.

Other people were once fat and got skinny before doing the program and they are afraid of getting fat again.

But are there really many examples of guys who start out like the guys in the before pics in the article who get sloppy fat? Do genuine hard gainers actually ever get truly fat?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I am wondering if there are really very many examples of skinny guys doing the program and getting sloppy fat.

I hear some people say they got fat on SS but when YOu dig into it you find out thatthey started out fat and then just got fatter.

Other people were once fat and got skinny before doing the program and they are afraid of getting fat again.

But are there really many examples of guys who start out like the guys in the before pics in the article who get sloppy fat? Do genuine hard gainers actually ever get truly fat?
    I sort of ran SS years ago (had to get hernias repaired, re-ran program, back injury not from weight-lifting, re-ran program, etc). Kept GOMAD for way too long, and went from single digit body fat at 130 (I'm 6'1") to close to 25% bodyfat at 194. My gut grew to almost 38", which was bigger than my wife's when she was pregnant. So yeah, I was a super skinny guy that got sloppy fat.

I'm currently 6'1", 175lbs, and am starting SS again since I haven't touched heavy weights in over a year. Gonna pay more attention to diet this time around. I want to hit 200-220 by the year's end. Figure a couple pounds a week till April, and then 2-4lbs a month after that should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post

No, I see tons of skinny guys on other programs as well on other boards and universally they stall out and don't progress in either strength or size. Their other commonality is an outright refusal to record their food intake at all.

The 1% or so who actually take the bog-standard advice of "do a food diary for 2 weeks, post it, and THEN we can see where the problem lies..." ALWAYS discover that they are dramatically underestimating their food intake (often by a factor of 2 or 3). Perhaps 1/3 of the guys who do this then actually undertake a serious dietary overhaul and break through. The majority just go go back to failing.

I got a little chubby but got it under control.

I say, accept that for the first year or so of training you will be fat. 2017 is my fat year but it's also my strength gains year. I'll worry about losing the fat next year.[/QUOTE]

The best advice I was ever given was by Tom C. at the Gig Harbor seminar in July 2016.
    At the time I was "ripped-ha,ha" at 172lbs (read that as still skinny proud)

He said, "Do you want to know what will help your squat?"
    I says, "Umm yeah!".
    Tom C. says, "Eat more sandwiches".

I thought to myself, "Is that the best advice they have, is that what the fuck I paid for!!!"

After seeing Tom C's before picture, and seeing him in person, that dude earned his right to skinny shame me.
    You know what - it was the best advice I got.
    Thank you Mr. Tom Campitelli.

I am currently at 220lbs at 5'10" ~ 20% body fat. That is ~50lbs in ~6 months.

Am I a sexy beast? . . . Yes, I believe I am.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy5000 View Post

I am currently at 220lbs at 5'10" ~ 20% body fat. That is ~50lbs in ~6 months..
    That's pretty remarkable! 198lb of lean body mass at 5'10". Damn!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast