starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Box Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    The box takes away the stretch reflex. If you squat 275 on a box, it will be much harder than squatting 275 without the box. If your knees are injured, bad, or you need a lighter squat variation, you use the box squat because it's "hard" at a lighter weight. If you squat 405x5 for a working weight, you'll do around 300 for a work set on the box. See?
    I can't understand in what way making it "harder" makes it beneficial. I remember reading somewhere about Rip saying that "maybe" the stretch reflex nature of the squat is what makes it different than all other exercises in term of systemic hormonal secretion, so I am asking why is it that making the lift harder by eliminating the stretch reflex would be beneficial? AKA why not use the light weight used with the box squat WITH the stretch reflex. I know it is like common sense but I just wanna figure out the mechanism that makes the harder version more beneficial than the normal squat with the same weight as the box squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shahab.Fardhal View Post
    I can't understand in what way making it "harder" makes it beneficial. I remember reading somewhere about Rip saying that "maybe" the stretch reflex nature of the squat is what makes it different than all other exercises in term of systemic hormonal secretion, so I am asking why is it that making the lift harder by eliminating the stretch reflex would be beneficial? AKA why not use the light weight used with the box squat WITH the stretch reflex. I know it is like common sense but I just wanna figure out the mechanism that makes the harder version more beneficial than the normal squat with the same weight as the box squat.
    I don't think you listened to the video when you watched it. You don't use the same weight. You CAN'T. You use a much lighter weight.

A light, easy squat doesn't give a training effect. If you can't train the regular squat heavy, you have to make up the lighter weight as best you can.

Hey Rip, you talk about how years of squatting wrong has resulted in embedded tendinitis in your knees, but how were you squatting compared to how you teach?

Quote Originally Posted by Shahab.Fardhal View Post
    I think the benefit has to do with stress - recovery - adaptation. You're making it harder so that you still get stress.

If you can squat 400 and box squat 260 (65% of 400), then you're making it hard enough to create stress. There's no point in regular squatting 260 as a work set; you've already adapted to that. Box squats create the needed stress in order to get stronger with less weight on the bar.

That's my take as a novice lifter in the SS program (who doesn't box squat). I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Green-Mud-Machine View Post
    Hey Rip, you talk about how years of squatting wrong has resulted in embedded tendinitis in your knees, but how were you squatting compared to how you teach?
    Back too vertical/knees too forward.

Thanks Rip that's interesting, it sounds like a similar position to sitting rigidly upright while cycling regardless of terrain, expect the cycling hasn't got the eccentric (?) part of the movement.
    This sums up my missus, she's cycled like that for years and now suffers with her knees......

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Back too vertical/knees too forward.
    This describes me now, Fucking tendentious in right knee is a bitch...moving to box squats to see if I can clear it out of there and then reset squat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12