starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Box Squat

Default How to Box Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

Rip explains the proper use and execution of the box squat as described in Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training.

Watch video

So what is the point of making it harder? I mean what would be the difference between a normal squat and a box squat if both are performed at the same weight? Is it just changing the shin angle? Why would making the lift harder be helpful? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    I did before I posted the comment...

I find it quite hard to explain what I am trying to ask.

Video says that box squat is used especially for people who have knee problems like Rip and those who don't want a heavy bar on their back, and getting the stretch reflex out will allow them to get hard work while doing it with lower weight.

I guess what I am trying to ask is, why making it harder would make any difference? would it cause a different hormonal secretion etc?

Any particular types of knee injuries are you referring to in this video?

I'm thinking specifically of those who have had menisectomies and who experience some irritation when they squat the regular Starting Strength way. Would these types of people be good candidates for the box squat?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shahab.Fardhal View Post
    I did before I posted the comment...

I find it quite hard to explain what I am trying to ask.

Video says that box squat is used especially for people who have knee problems like Rip and those who don't want a heavy bar on their back, and getting the stretch reflex out will allow them to get hard work while doing it with lower weight.

I guess what I am trying to ask is, why making it harder would make any difference? would it cause a different hormonal secretion etc?
    The box takes away the stretch reflex. If you squat 275 on a box, it will be much harder than squatting 275 without the box. If your knees are injured, bad, or you need a lighter squat variation, you use the box squat because it's "hard" at a lighter weight. If you squat 405x5 for a working weight, you'll do around 300 for a work set on the box. See?

Quote Originally Posted by PLM View Post
    Any particular types of knee injuries are you referring to in this video?

I'm thinking specifically of those who have had menisectomies and who experience some irritation when they squat the regular Starting Strength way. Would these types of people be good candidates for the box squat?

Thanks.
    Depends on the person, the injury/condition, and the program. If there's no pain when doing The Squat, I'd have them squat.
    Last edited by Nick Delgadillo; 01-18-2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Depends on the person, the injury/condition, and the program. If there's no pain when doing The Squat, I'd have them squat.
    O.K., specifics:

Male, 29 y.o., 205lbs, 6'5''
    Partial meniscectomy in September 2016
    Novice in Starting Strength Program started 3 months after the surgery (December 2016), working through the progression and experiencing some irritation in the repaired knee with squatting. Currently squatting 175lbs. Moderate swelling in the infrapatellar region and subsequent residual pain over lateral knee joint line following squats.
    Also of note: pre-surgery he had a meniscal cyst that was drained, along with the meniscal repair. Cyst has not returned but has had residual edema around the knee that becomes aggravated with the squat.

In his case, and potentially other similar cases, wondering if the box squat could be an alternative to the normal squat in order to get stronger but not irritate the injured knee?

Hey Rip, I don't know if anyone else has this feeling but I find that the camera switching back and forth is sort of awkward. One moment you're looking at the camera while talking and then the next, the shot switches to the other camera and it now looks like you're talking to other people. I'm not saying you should change your focus between cameras but rather to stop switching camera angles when you're talking and standing there. Might be something to try for the next video?

It's the latest thing in film production. Haven't you seen any of JJ Abrams movies? Man, update.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's the latest thing in film production. Haven't you seen any of JJ Abrams movies? Man, update.
    Then where are your lense flairs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast