starting strength gym

Thread: Stinging pain upper arm in BP, after squats.

Default Stinging pain upper arm in BP, after squats.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I have a question about shoulder and upper arm pain. Couple of days ago i did 117.5kg on the squat (LP), which was heavy. Right after every work set there was a little weird sensation in my left shoulder and arm. Nothing fancy, figured it were just the heavy weights I had to adapt to.

So i walk over to the bench, warm ups, same sensation. I get to my work set, brace, and as I eccentrically lower the bar there's this acute stinging pain in my upper arm. So bad to fail even the first rep. 2 days later, with a 10% deload on the squat same problem, plus now feel the shoulder all day. Watched bar and hand placement videos, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Ohp are okey, did em before squats yesterday.
    Searched the web and find some people with the exact same problem, but no solution. One argument was a f**** up infraspinatus muscle, whichs shows as stinging pain in the upper arm. Thought maybe this is a recurrent problem you guys know how to fix? Kinda scared because it Def feels beyond the normal wear and tear. Thnxx

Relying on internet forums for medical diagnosis is a sketchy proposition at best, and there's not enough information here for me to recognize an issue. Maybe one of the other coaches will chime in. I note several incogruties with a torn infraspinatus: primarily that the pain was sudden in onset, and only on a working weight set. My entire experience with torn muscle is that ANY movement was painful. But YMMV.

And we can't see your squats / BP from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Relying on internet forums for medical diagnosis is a sketchy proposition at best, and there's not enough information here for me to recognize an issue. Maybe one of the other coaches will chime in. I note several incogruties with a torn infraspinatus: primarily that the pain was sudden in onset, and only on a working weight set. My entire experience with torn muscle is that ANY movement was painful. But YMMV.

And we can't see your squats / BP from here.
    Yes I know, definitely not relying on it but the explanation of the problem was exactly the same. Figured its a problem that is seen more. Thought I just might say it here, in the hope you guys had an "aha" moment, knowing it had some validation or not. And its not torn, supposedly annoyed or knotted up. But the pain onset is indeed sudden and felt in the upper arm. Flexing biceps or triceps doesn't hurt, it only really hurt after squats and by the loading/eccentrically lowering part of the BP. I don't have any videos of my bench yet....

Squats 117.5kg 14/01/17 - YouTube

Deload 105
    Squat 105kg 17/01/2017 - YouTube

I've been commented on form with those videos. Gaze and depth as well as stance with have been discussed. Upper back flexion was also mentioned although I have a hard time keeping the bar in place if stay more upright.

Thnx in advance

In both these videos, you're lifting your elbows too high. Might be contributory. It's also got your upper back in flexion.

Since we're here looking at squats, first, I'll make a smartass comment on lifting in discotheques re: the second video. Then I'll follow up by saying that every single one of them is at least 3" high. Why are you making me look at high squats?

In both these videos, you're lifting your elbows too high. Might be contributory. It's also got your upper back in flexion.

Since we're here looking at squats, first, I'll make a smartass comment on lifting in discotheques re: the second video. Then I'll follow up by saying that every single one of them is at least 3" high. Why are you making me look at high squats?
    Yeahhhh, not to happy with the music and lightning either. But its the only gym with proper equipment around here. Rest is the Dutch equivalent of planet fitness, try a powerclean you'll get banned.

Which video you mean? The height of the 177.5 was definitely off, but thought the 105 was oke

With the elbows, any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Maties Hofstede View Post
    Which video you mean? The height of the 177.5 was definitely off, but thought the 105 was oke
    You thought wrong, though the 105s might only be 1.5-2" high.

Quote Originally Posted by Maties Hofstede View Post
    With the elbows, any suggestions?
    They're too high. Lower them. Low being the antipode of high. And lift your chest up before you start the rep.

You thought wrong, though the 105s might only be 1.5-2" high.

They're too high. Lower them. Low being the antipode of high. And lift your chest up before you start the rep.
    Damn, that's gonna take some work.... Okey, and antipode is? Lowering them kinda makes the bar feel slippery, plus watching all those videos about "elbows up" didnt really help really then.. Thnx for the info btw. Great you guys take the time for this. Still probably gonna be alot of figuring out on my part here.

There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Congrats on finding it WRT to elbow position.

Antipode

Being an SS coach takes being sarcastic to a whole new level yeah I did the search thingy, just didn't understand where to place the imaginary midline. But I'll go back to my cave for now, play with the iron a lil, fuck up some more and post another vid in the future.

Thnxx

starting strength coach development program
    Just drop them a little, then make sure your chest is lifted.