starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leg Length Discrepancy: The Use of a Shim

Default Leg Length Discrepancy: The Use of a Shim

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

A surprisingly large percentage of the population has a Leg Length Discrepancy (LLD) – I’ve seen estimates, probably conservative, that 70% of the population exhibit LLD. It’s normally not noticeable when the difference is less than 1/2 inch (13 mm) or so. But when it’s greater than that, the asymmetric loading on the pelvis under a squat or deadlift can be enough to cause problems that should be addressed with corrective measures. We use a shim under the foot.

Read Article

Wow, what a good article! Why did I not think of this before? So interesting that you can see "obviously" with your eye (the girl in the photo) - I'm straining to see anything at all, and I only think I know the answer.

Do you think this has more of an effect on squats or deadlifts? Or just "it depends"?

You mention a "chiropracter" as one option - I would highly recommend an Atlas Orthogonal practitioner - that is the type I see, and it's the only chiropracty that's ever helped me. I'm going to ask him about this next time I see him. I'm sure he already knows the answer.

We've added pictures so that those with a less developed eye can pick examples up. It takes some practise to see this things quickly and automatically - like noting a tiny amount of lame in a dog's gait - and smaller problems are invisible to the untrained eye where they are obvious to others.

This wasn't immediately clear from the article, but which side, the longer or shorter, will begin experiencing discomfort? For some time I've had some lower back discomfort (feels more like stiffness) on only the left side. Taking a visual with my legs outstretched, I think the left leg is a tad longer, but will have to have my wife measure using the method mentioned in the article.

One other question: Will that discrepancy lead to turning the feet out to slightly different angles on each side when setting up for the squat?

Both the pain and any adjustment made in toe angle vary with the individual.

I remember going to the SS seminar and when I squatted one of the coaches thought I had a LLD. Mark came over and did this same assessment. It turned out I didn't have one but that coaching the squat and the bench (believe it or not) helped my asymmetry. It was difficult at first learning a new movement pattern but I was clearly Incorrectly lifting in certain lifts.
    I feel it was the long history I had with my shoulder. Rip may say BS, but when I would get into a squat or bench position I would subconsciously hike my shoulder and this in turn would take me into assymetrical positions. Coaching was key and the SS program and technique has helped the most. My wife actually pointed this out and now my bench has improved and I can now get into a decent squat position without hiking it. It's funny what injuries will do to the brain.

Hello, I am new. I have been doing Starting Strength for 2 weeks. With this test i found out that there is a discrepancy between the two medial malleolus 2-3mm. This means my right tibia is 2-3mm shorter. My left hip is hiked up. My right feet is high arched and my left feet low arched. But my heel on the right feet side is 15mm shorter than the left side.

I want to even out my hips but if I put an 10mm shim under my foot my right knee is higher on the left and my hip is not even only at 15mm. Does it mean that my femur is shortenend or which is very unusual my caleneus?

I would have to examine you myself before I can recommend a shim. Something may have been done incorrectly in your assessment when the pelvis was checked for level. The assessment starts at the hips, not the floor.

This article is brilliant.

I worked my way through the LP after reading the book and using the app. When my squat got to about 70-75kg (I weigh 57kg) I developed a groin pain on the right that I could not shake off, this was October 2016. It took me till January 2017 to be pain free and that was after several attempts at lighter loads then just stopping squatting altogether.

Fearful of the same thing happening and having no idea why it had started I enrolled into SS online coaching. Emily worked me back up through the LP and the same thing happened at the same weight. She kept me squatting with minimal weight on the bar and after I'd filmed my squat from every conceivable angle she spotted the tilt in my pelvis at the bottom of the squat and said I may have a LLD.

Well sure enough, lying flat on the ground it is so obvious Stevie Wonder could have spotted it!! Its around 1cm shorter on the right, the side that had been painful.

We've worked me back up using a 1cm mat under my right foot and I'm now at 80kg and pain free. I use the mat for DL too. I've not chimed my lifters as they are new adipowers and I don't trust a cobbler not to ruin them. The mat works just fine.

In many ways I'm glad it happened otherwise I wouldn't have thought I needed a coach, now I realise everyone needs a coach. If you're having any issues with any lifts then get one. Its the best money I spend every month.

starting strength coach development program
    I've started wondering again whether I'm dealing with a leg length discrepancy, as every chronic/recurring ailment is always on the left side (consistent low back ache, possible hernia, shoulder pain). My issues may well all be form-related, but I took a quick squat vid from behind today, but to my untrained eye, I cannot quite tell if a length discrepancy exists or not. My camera angle was worse than I thought, giving the impression that I'm squatting on the titanic, but when I "shim" my laptop, there does appear to be some difference in leg position at the top of the squat and in the hole.

trim 8352747B 3C1B 41C1 A68F DC00108F66FE - YouTube

At top, before descent:

In hole:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-J...70238431155985

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast