Default Lifting Almost 3 years....can barely bench 1 plate

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After lifting semi-religiously for almost 3 years:

Bench: 62.5 kg x 5
    Squat 100 kg x 5
    Deadlift: 110 kg x 5

I started lifting almost 3 years ago now; I started with SS, then later moved onto BBB when I started to plateau.
    I've been lifting mostly consistently throughout; only ever stopped for an extended period when doing my Bachelor's thesis and even then only about 2 months and always did strength focused lifts; no fluff and pump splits.

I sincerely don't know what's wrong with me, my numbers are pathetic and there are people who are untrained who can lift more than I do. My diet might not have been totally on point all the time but most days I made sure I got at least 2 g of protein per kilo of bodyweight and enough calories, and in any case there's people half my age (I'm 25....) whose diet consists of a protein shake after the gym and mum's cooking and basically just mess around in the gym with no care for programming or form that can outlift me easily.

I'm thinking I must have ridiculously low testosterone levels or something, it's the only thing I can think of.

Most people think they are eating enough, but aren't. Protein is important but you need enough calories overall with a good amount of carbs to get you through training sessions. Don't assume other people are getting less calories than you. Mom's cooking could be on point.

Also note that 3 years ago you were likely still *growing* and needed a ton of calories just for that plus many more calories to pack on muscle.

At any rate, for now, pick a typical day and run through *everything* you eat to tally up your calories and see where you are at. Beyond that, it's also likely you weren't doing the SS program exactly as written, but it's so long ago that there's not much point digging into that now. Once you see how much you are eating and adjust to where you need to be, I would start SS all over again and reach out to a coach for advice along the way instead of doing it all yourself and then switching programs entirely.

I'm currently getting about 2700 calories a day.
    When I tried to "bulk" I mostly just got fat. I'm getting my T levels tested this week since I do suspect that might be the culprit; I do have all the stereotypical low T symptoms, chronic low energy, low mood, apathy, mood swings etc.

T is a good step. Might also be interesting to do a full vitamin / nutrient test panel, thyroid panel, etc..Also an OGTT measuring glucose and insulin - since insulin resistance could play a big role. Sounds like something is "wrong" and I hope you figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by tmuscat95 View Post
    When I tried to "bulk" I mostly just got fat. I'm getting my T levels tested this week since I do suspect that might be the culprit; I do have all the stereotypical low T symptoms, chronic low energy, low mood, apathy, mood swings etc.
    Think simple, before complex. Add about 2000 calories, keep the protein at 1g per pound, and stay on the NLP.

I am curious what you consider "fat"? What is your current height/weight? As a 6'2" former marathoner, there was plenty of "feeling fat" on the road to 230lbs.

And your height and weight, of course.

Height? Weight?

Squat 100 kg x 5

I started lifting almost 3 years ago now; I started with SS, then later moved onto BBB when I started to plateau.
    I've been lifting mostly consistently throughout; only ever stopped for an extended period when doing my Bachelor's thesis and even then only about 2 months and always did strength focused lifts; no fluff and pump splits.

I sincerely don't know what's wrong with me, my numbers are pathetic and there are people who are untrained who can lift more than I do. My diet might not have been totally on point all the time but most days I made sure I got at least 2 g of protein per kilo of bodyweight and enough calories, and in any case there's people half my age (I'm 25....) whose diet consists of a protein shake after the gym and mum's cooking and basically just mess around in the gym with no care for programming or form that can outlift me easily.

I'm thinking I must have ridiculously low testosterone levels or something, it's the only thing I can think of.
    Other than the Three Questions:

If I may, i'd like to add that in my experience things can seem to plateau when in fact the only reason the numbers aren't going up is because the requisite physical and mental effort needed to force the adaptation on the next session just isn't there. I've been guilty of this. Are you really giving it your all in you sessions? Are you stopping at 3 reps when you could have gotten the 5 had you just dug-in and forced them out?

When you're fairly inexperienced, and without a coach, i think it is possible to mistake the point of perceived impending failure. In fact, i'd say in such circumstances it pays to put the entire notion of 'failure' right out of one's head, and just focus on getting those 5 reps come hell or high water. Then, if you do 'fail', you know it's legitimate, and not a case of your arse collapsing (as we say here in Ayrshire).

starting strength coach development program

Squat 100 kg x 5

Low-T is certainly a possibility and why you might find you gain more fat than muscle when you bulk up. The first thing you need to do is stop comparing yourself to "those people". The sad truth is the genetic lottery is a cruel fucking game, and some people luck out. Those people can get away with training like dickheads and getting to "decent" lifts. Someone like that might get their bench press to 225 at ~200 pounds bodyweight or so, but then never go above that, because they are training like a dickhead. There are people who have never lifted barbells before in their life, and managed numbers like 400+ pounds in their first deadlifting session. Likewise, there are people whose natural starting point is as much below the average as those people's are above it. You can't change this. Comparing yourself to these people is going to discourage you.

You also can't be 100% sure WHAT those people are putting in their bodies. Is it really just "a protein shake and mum's cooking"? Are they eating much more than that and just not saying so? Are they indulging in some highly beneficial pharmaceuticals? You can't know, you're not following them around all day. But gyms everywhere usually have some supply network for that stuff and some people using them. Focus instead on what's going into YOUR body. Don't get your protein and calories on "most days", get them EVERY day. You need to feel it like a nagging itch that you haven't hit your protein quota for the day. You need to figure out what is in everything you eat and drink. 2700 calories isn't enough unless you're horse jockey sized. That's about how much I eat on my 2 heavier eating days now, and I'm cut-dieting. Remember that the lifting is actually just commissioning your body to do the work of building itself up. The actual building is something you have no conscious control over. But you do need to provide it building materials, and enough energy not only for future workouts but for the building project. Sleep is also vital, you mentioned writing a thesis so if you are one of those very busy grad students burning a lot of midnight oil, leave that midnight oil unburnt.

On top of that general stuff, I have questions:
    -You say you're stuck at those weights listed, was there ANY progress getting there? How much? Are those true 5RM sets, that you can't rest and repeat for another set in 5-10 minutes? Is the last rep of each a slow grind to the top?
    -Do you take any medications?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast