starting strength gym

Thread: Restarting HLM After Meet

Default Restarting HLM After Meet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Coaches! Did my first "meet" on Friday and set some new 1RMs. How should I structure my return to heavy day on an HLM template? It's been a few weeks since I've followed the HLM template as I was driving intensity up and volume down.

I was thinking dropping my squat and bench press numbers to 80% for 3x5 and deadlift down to 85% for 1x5 based off my competition maxes.

Meet results:
    Squat: 425
    BP: 255 (failed at 275 a bit too aggressive)
    Deadlift: 435
    Body weight: 220

Thanks!

What were your 3x5 numbers for each of the lifts before the meet?

Why do you think we're going to agree to go off percentages of 1 RM, when what we really only ever tell you is make your 3x5 go up every two days, then 2x per week, then 1x per week?

Hey Steve,
    My last set of numbers:
    Sq: 3x5x355
    B: 3x5x205
    DL: 5x355
    I have done the program off and on for a few years. This is the highest I've gotten my deadlift, and I had my squats up to 364 after my last reload.

Touché regards the percentages. I tried squatting a few days after the comp, and 325 with crappie form was the best I could muster. lolz. Not sure what happened there!

Quote Originally Posted by JimtheConquerer View Post
    Hey Steve,
    My last set of numbers:
    Sq: 3x5x355
    B: 3x5x205
    DL: 5x355
    I have done the program off and on for a few years. This is the highest I've gotten my deadlift, and I had my squats up to 364 after my last reload.

Touché regards the percentages. I tried squatting a few days after the comp, and 325 with crappie form was the best I could muster. lolz. Not sure what happened there!
    So, since you now know you're going to take a hit as a result of your PERFORMANCE at the meet, why not just take the Monday following as a light day, and then knock 10% off of your previous 3x5 numbers and run a quick LP back up until you approach a stall again? And by quick- I mean 1.5 weeks (5 sessions).

Lessons learned...not sure why I thought I could go heavy the Monday after! Thanks.