starting strength gym

Thread: Vastus Lateralis pain

Default Vastus Lateralis pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi strength boys,

Since three weeks I'm suffering from pain in the outer Quadriceps, It should be the Vastus Lateralis.
    The pain is very local, on the outer of the quadriceps. The vertical position is midhalf of the Vas. Lat.
    I depicted the area over here: http://oi66.tinypic.com/9a7ret.jpg
    The pain is very local, when performing anything narrow/regular stance (squat BW, walking stairs), the pain is triggered. Sumo Squats resulting in very little pain.
    We know that narrow stance works the outer quads, so the conclusion of a Vastus Lateralis injury can be made.

I'm looking for help to recover from this injury, I skipped legs the past three weeks, hoping to see any progression, but still no progression.
    What do you guys think can improve my situation? (Performing legs wide stance, let it rest some more, stretching)
    And what about food and supplementation?

Even I had dealt with a great discomfort in my quad. I self-diagnosed the issue to be ITBS and worked for it. I also ice the area and sometimes apply heat just to increase the blood flow to that area. I continued it for about 2 weeks and didn’t experience any major improvement in the condition. The pain was getting worse. With one of my friends suggestion, I consulted a physician and he recommended me to take a deep tissue massage from a clinic in Toronto. He also advised me to do strength exercises for my legs and glutes. I took the massage and it helped me a lot for faster recovery. I’d recommend that you consult a professional and find out the cause of your pain. A therapist can help you with the course of strengthening exercises and the necessary treatment plan to be followed in your case. Regarding the food supplementation, I was advised to include more nutritious food in my diet like almonds, salmon, oranges and spinach. These foods will really make a difference for both your foot and your body.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeBigLift View Post
    Hi strength boys,

Since three weeks I'm suffering from pain in the outer Quadriceps, It should be the Vastus Lateralis.
    The pain is very local, on the outer of the quadriceps. The vertical position is midhalf of the Vas. Lat.
    I depicted the area over here: http://oi66.tinypic.com/9a7ret.jpg
    The pain is very local, when performing anything narrow/regular stance (squat BW, walking stairs), the pain is triggered. Sumo Squats resulting in very little pain.
    We know that narrow stance works the outer quads, so the conclusion of a Vastus Lateralis injury can be made.

I'm looking for help to recover from this injury, I skipped legs the past three weeks, hoping to see any progression, but still no progression.
    What do you guys think can improve my situation? (Performing legs wide stance, let it rest some more, stretching)
    And what about food and supplementation?
    What did you end up doing to recover from it?! I pulled/strained mine about two months ago and didn’t squat for 3 weeks.

Yesterday I was squatting and felt the pain again and today it’s very sore to the touch and to move but not nearly as bad as last time.

Is there potentially something I’m doing wrong whilst squatting that is putting too much pressure on this particular muscle or does anyone have any idea why this might be occurring. It’s always my right thigh, Vastus Lateralis. I’m really hoping this doesn’t keep reoccurring and prevent me from adding significant weight to my squat.

Thanks