starting strength gym

Thread: Coaching tools/strategies before you were a SSC

Default Coaching tools/strategies before you were a SSC

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Coaches, thanks in advance for reading, and I appologize for the book that follows. I am passionate about all things Strength and I'm coming to realize how much I like to coach. I like to think I have a knack for instruction/coaching and I'm curious about how you all coached before (or perhaps after) you became a SSC. Did any of you try the online coaching approach before your SSC credential? If so what tools/methods did you use?

TL;DR - I'm just getting into coaching and looking for insight into how to manage multiple clients without putting up a ton (read $0) of cash at first into apps like fitbot, coaches eye, hudl, etc etc. and would appreciate your advice.

I Finally Bought SSBBT3 and PPST3 a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed: how the lifts were approached with mechanical analysis, how simple/effective 'the method' was to learn, and just how coachable it made everything. I'm just starting to get my feet wet coaching "the method" and so far my one trainee and I are LOVING the process. I'd really love to get some experience with coaching (and coaching multiple clients simultaneously) and one day I may even try to earn the SSC credential. Right now, I just have the one trainee, and even though he's local, I won't be with him for the majority of the training sessions. I have a home gym setup where we can have a few sessions, but mostly I want to set up our interaction like "online" coaching. I really like the way SSOC is set up so I am modeling my approach after it, but since I only have 1 client (who i'm coaching for free) and want to keep my overhead at $0, I don't want to pay for fitbot, or coaches eye, or anything like that just yet. I know all you SSCs started somewhere and I know I can't be the first to be thrifty/creative in my approach. I'd really like some insight from you all on how you set up your practice before you were an SSC. I'll outline what i'm doing below.

Right now, I am creating/developing a google sheet training log which can be found below. In it, I have set up a basic training log, section for the lifter to judge how hard the last set was, a place for him to park his videos, and a place I can provide feedback. I can import his videos into my free coaches eye app (without paying for it) and give feedback. I have the google sheet set up to where it notifies me any time he edits it.

Template Training Log - Google Sheets

A little about me (credentials/lifts/background that may be useful):
    - 24yo Male 6'2" 245lb
    - SQ/PR/BP/DL = ~400s/210/320/500 (Squat hasn't been tested in a while....Bench and DL proof here

- Strongman Competitor (1 comp with a 2nd place finish in novice class)
    - Lifting since High school football jumping from program to program and really only taking strength very seriously the last year or so. Training history consisted of a couple "linear" (but not SS) programs, Bodybuilding type splits, Jumping between High/low bar squats with reckless abandon, somehow managing to program myself to a 500 DL on 5/13/2017 using less than efficient programming for my recovery level.
    - Finally Bought SSBBT3 and PPST3 a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed: how the lifts were approached with mechanical analysis, how simple/effective 'the method' was to learn, and just how coachable it made everything.
    - Started coaching my first trainee a few weeks ago and we're both loving the process.
    - Currently an Engineer and graduated with a BS in Applied Mathematics....probably why I find "the method" so appealing.

Moooooorefood, you seem eager, ambitious, engaged, and intelligent enough to potentially do this. Most people start with a shared google drive or excel spreadsheet, but exactly how they set it up varies a lot person to person. You'll have to tinker with what works best for your approach, and there will be trial and error from which you learn a lot. If you're also doing form checks, have them trim the file - always - to the parts you want to see, and upload it (unlisted, if they prefer) to youtube, and send you the link. Much better than having the send actual files.

Beyond that, it's knowledge and experience, and the aforementioned trial and error. Make sure to read the articles on this site about becoming a coach, too.

I figured it was a fitting username. Oddly enough it's been my gamer tag since I was a 13 on Xbox live lol

Thank you for the advice! I appreciate your time in responding.

I am having my trainee upload unlisted videos to YouTube. I can import them straight from YouTube into coaches eye which is really nice!

I have read the article on becoming a coach, and it was one of the deciding factors for me to start preparing for the SSC credential. I'm also part of the Facebook group and between those form checks and the ones here, just seeing how SSCs respond and cue, helps me a lot with my trainee.

When y'all were just starting out did you offer services for free? I figure that might be the best way to get a few clients for experience, but difficult for retention (developing data for coaching credibility) since they don't have "skin in the game". I'd love to hear about the beginning methods some of the Samsung here used to get a base of trainees.

Would it be poor form to ask for guinea pigs on the SS Facebook page? (with an Obvious, bold, unlined, and capital letters disclaimer that I'm no substitute for a SSC)

I was a personal trainer and knew a lot less than I thought I did before learning more about strength training, olympic lifting, etc...about 10 years ago. So while I'm embarrassed at stuff I did 12 years ago, I was already charging for it, under the guise of the "Trainer" label on my shirt.

And I don't think making a post about this on the SS FB page is appropriate. Building an online client base, even volunteer clients, off the back of the SS FB page when you only coach 1 lifter in person, sporadically, is just not good form. It probably wouldn't be appropriate even if you were more experienced, now that I think about it. It's a private group that you must be approved to join, and is moderated. It isn't a free for all. Messaging people privately, however, would probably be ok, or posting in an unmoderated section on this forum perhaps.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-06-2017 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I don't think making a post about this on the SS FB page is appropriate. Building an online client base, even volunteer clients, off the back of the SS FB page when you only coach 1 lifter in person, sporadically, is just not good form.
    Unfortunately, I jumped the gun did this last night (had I only waited a few more hours for your reply). Fortunately, however, the moderators on the SS FB page took the post down before too many folks saw it. Last thing I want to do is cross the line in any of this! My apologies!

Thanks, again for your insight and I may post in some other sections of the forum to get feedback on my spreadsheet or get ideas on how to manage some of this better.