starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: high blood pressure

Default high blood pressure

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I have high blood pressure (150/85 on average). Does anyone have experience with that. Doc said it's not possible to find where I got that shit from and he couldn't really tell me anything about lifting. Does anyone here have high blood pressure CAUSED by lifting? Does it get worse?

I don't know what's causing your high blood pressure, but in response to these questions

Quote Originally Posted by zar9star View Post
    Does anyone here have high blood pressure CAUSED by lifting? Does it get worse?
    I can say that that hasn't been my experience. Had a couple of years (2013-2014, I think) where BP was higher, around 140/90. Didn't get another test until this year (last month) when it was 124/64 at a higher bodyweight.

Lifting induces a momentary rise in blood pressure due to both the effort and the valsalva induced IAP increase. But usually it goes away after you cool down. I'm not going to link sources now.

Someone here might bring some studies showing that frequent training reduces BP long term. I think that you should make all you can to change environmental and behavioral causes (sleep, diet, stress) before doing meds (if your doctor comes to prescribe them for you).

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    Lifting induces a momentary rise in blood pressure due to both the effort and the valsalva induced IAP increase. But usually it goes away after you cool down. I'm not going to link sources now.

Someone here might bring some studies showing that frequent training reduces BP long term. I think that you should make all you can to change environmental and behavioral causes (sleep, diet, stress) before doing meds (if your doctor comes to prescribe them for you).
    A study would actually be a good idea as my doc said that lifting heavy weights very likely is responsible for the BP. I don't see any logic behind this but he has a Phd in medicine so I kind of trust him.

So I have high blood pressure (150/85 on average). Does anyone have experience with that. Doc said it's not possible to find where I got that shit from and he couldn't really tell me anything about lifting. Does anyone here have high blood pressure CAUSED by lifting? Does it get worse?
    you might check out these:
    Training with high blood pressure

Barbell Training is Big Medicine | Jonathon Sullivan

I also just got "The Barbell Prescription" in the mail today. I just glanced at the index and there are quite a few pages on hypertension.

A study would actually be a good idea as my doc said that lifting heavy weights very likely is responsible for the BP. I don't see any logic behind this but he has a Phd in medicine so I kind of trust him.
    Ask him how well is he acquainted with Hans Selye.

Edit: after he fucks up how the circulatory system adapts to weight training, show him this.
    Last edited by Murelli; 12-06-2016 at 02:25 PM.

There are tons of reasons for high blood pressure, have you been to see a cardiologist or another doctor for tests?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    There are tons of reasons for high blood pressure, have you been to see a cardiologist or another doctor for tests?
    Yes cardiologist. My hormone lvls are fine and so is everything else. The only reason he
    could find is lifting.

starting strength coach development program
    The only reason he could find is lifting.
    I would change physicians. What did he say about Hans Selye?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast